X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cautery of all 4 Puncta?

Hi all,
    I wanted to know if there is any other misfortunate soul out there who has all four of their puncta cauterized. More than 10 years ago I had my tops cauterized and this greatly relieved my dry eyes. I was pretty much normal. Now, after a bout with conjunctivitis, my eyes are all messed up again. Since then, few different doctors have put plugs in my bottoms... this has worked to greatly relieve the burning pain. The burning is not completely gone, but it greatly helps me function and be a little more normal. The problem is the left one keeps popping out. In the last month, the permanent mushroom style plug as come out 3 times in the left. The right has only come out once. I just want to cauterize the bottoms and get it over with! But I think it is a pretty big deal to have all 4 cauterized? What do you think? I am also doing warm compresses 2 or 3x a day, drops, and basically have to keep my left eye shut all the time. And even then it still burns. My mom is here to help me and my 3 young kids!
    I think my doctor wants to try the intracanicular Herrick? plug on my left, but I'm scared of it since I've read a few horror stories about that plug.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Ashley

I have had all four cauterized...I haven't had any problems. I had the puncta type that turned onto my eyeballs so plugs hurt me too much to wear or came out. I am much better now because of it.

Comment

Thanks! Did your doctor hesitate to do it?

Comment

No not really, but he did ask me several times if I was okay with it. At the time I probably would have requested burning my eyeball with a hot poker if I heard it would help..lol

Comment

Great to hear cautery made you feel better. Do you have too many tears because of it?

Comment

Kanon,

I had both puncta in bad eye cauterized 15 years ago. It helped. Pain following conjunctivitis needs to be investigated and treatmetns developed. If interested, see the thread Lulu started:

http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showt...ght=#post67968

and let's talk some more. Did your MD seem to have some knowledge of the pathology involved in DED pain flares after pink eye?

Hope you're doing well

Bill

Comment

Working...
            X