Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upper plugs again? Help needed

Hi all,

I have lower plugs. They were put in about 5 weeks after LASIK and they did absolutely nothing. I had upper plugs inserted about two months ago and they did help add moisture to my eyes. At first I had tears running down my cheeks. This tearing did taper
    off, but my eyes were still moist. My eyes still did not feel normal, but it was better than the constant burning I had. However, after about three weeks my eyes got really irritated and my tears would sting my eyes especially around my eyelid margin and the tissue around the plugs. I went back to the doc and he said the tissue around the plugs was inflamed and removed the upper plugs. He put me on predisilone(sp) for a week and said I could have them inserted in a month again. He alo said at that time I had slight mgd. Could I have "toxic tears"? Should I go ahead and have them put back in? They did seem to help at first. I am so confused with all this LASIK mess. I don't want to do anything that could hinder the healing process. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I absolutely love the community. I don't know what I would do without it.
    Bianca
    Lasik victim 2012

What kind of plugs were they? Were they dissolvable, intracanicular? Was there a cap sticking out? How is your inflammation now? I've read that those silicone plugs cause reaction in some people and the plugs with caps constantly rub on some. Perhaps try a different type of plug/material? Surely doc has more than one option available...

If it seemed to help initially, then my guess is that it wouldn't be any kind of toxic tears. But I'm no doc.

Maybe some docs on the forum can reply.

Comment

Hi no tears,

I had silicone plugs. I am not sure if the uppers were umbrella or intracanicular. They were removed very easily. I had the uppers reinserted about two weeks ago and they itch like crazy. Now my lower left plug looks like it is coming out and I can feel it scratch my eye. My lower plugs never bothered me and I have had them for about four months. I am thinking about cautery, but am unsure if I am jumping the gun. July 21 will be six months out from lasik. I can handle the extra tears, but I can not handle the burning and stinging from the dry eye.
      Thank you so much for replying. I just noticed I had a reply to this post.
      Bianca
      Lasik victim 2012

Comment

Perhaps trying the 90 day plugs that are inserted intracanalicular would allow time to see if something else caused the irritation other than the plugs, they would not create foreign body sensation and there would be ample time to see if the extra volume of tear is beneficial.

Comment

Thank you indrep,

I am still seeing the ODs at the LASIK clinic. I do not have another appointment until July 23. I really think I should seek out an opthalmologist for some help. I have seen two other unaffilated ODs one at five weeks out that said the dry eye would most likely get better and one at four months that said it would be chronic. Do the 90 days dissolve and do they itch as much?
          Thank you for your reply
          Lasik victim 2012

Comment

The 90 day plugs are a synthetic material that is the same as internal sutures used in surgical procedures. I have not heard of anyone having a reaction to them. Silicone plugs can cause allergic reactions and sometimes if the plug inserted is too large it causes the foreign body sensation/irritation that leads to itching.

Yes the 90 day plugs dissolve typically from 85 to 105 days.

Comment

Working...
            X