upper plugs too?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• upper plugs too?

I've had plugs (two lowers) for about two months now, and while I notice a wee bit of improvement, it's nothing like I'd hoped for and certainly not enough for me to be able to wear my contact lenses. I'd like to get the uppers plugged too, but my eye dr says he only does this as a last resort b/c then the "gunk" has no where to go and he's worried about infections. But I'd much rather give it a try and then take them out if there's a problem. Any feedback from those of you that have all fours plugged?

Other than steroid drops, having all four plugged is the only relief I have had since I was diagnosed. My doc was hesitant too. What is more important, the doc's degree of difficulty in getting them in (or out) vs. the degree of pain that you have? If you want them, insist on them. I would suggest opting for a trial of 3 month dissolvable plugs before going with permanent ones in all fours, if they are intracanalicular.
    Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

Thanks for the info, Kitty. I've had no trouble at all w/ the lower plugs, they fit perfectly, have never come out, and the doc had no trouble getting them in at all (took about 2 seconds) so that's why I'm inclined to think the uppers would pose no problems either. I don't have any pain, but it's just a question of finding something that would enable me to wear my contacts.

Comment

It's so sad that some doctors don't have a clue about what they are talking about. Your doctor is afraid to plug them all because he said there is no place for the goo to go. That is total nonsense. It gets me so mad that people can't get relief because of the ignorance of a doctor. I have had all four plugged for 14 years with no problems. I had no relief with just the 2 lowers plugged. Push for getting them all done or find a new doctor who has more experience or interest in them. Good grief, it is bad enough that we are all freaks with these severe dry eyes but we have to endure ignorant doctors too. Argggggggg! (Good luck!)

Comment

I wil schedule an appointment with my dr and see if I can get plugs on the upper lids too. I have plugs on my lower lids but I think it is time for an upgrade. I hope it works.....I may try first the ones that disolve.
          Dr eyes caused by long term contact lens wear

Comment

I've had all 4 plugged for almost 4 months now and never had any problems. Go for it, cos 2 plugs in the lower lids only did nothing for me at all.

Comment

Thanks! so you got some improvement....
              I'm seeing my doctor next week.
              Dr eyes caused by long term contact lens wear

Comment

thanks so much for the info guys. I will push for the two uppers now. last time I was there, the dr wanted me to try Restasis, but I don't see how this could possibly work for me since I don't have any inflammation at all. gee, I thought my dr was pretty willing to try things since the last guy I went to didn't even want to try plugs at all, even lowers! he said they didn't seem to work and if they worked at the beginning, didn't work after a while. it's nice to have feedback about other drs. I did try Oasis contact lenses which are more comfortable than the Acuvue Advanced w/ hydraclear but I can still only wear them about 4 hours and that's just not enough for my busy active life!!

Comment

Originally posted by Maria1972
                  Thanks! so you got some improvement....
                  It made the biggest difference for me.

Comment

Working...
                  X