Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Epiphora with upper + lower plugs, does it get better?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epiphora with upper + lower plugs, does it get better?

On Thursday I had my upper puncta plugged because I wasn't getting enough relief from the lower plugs alone. When I was at the doctor's office after the procedure they seemed fine but soon after I got home I started getting excess tearing, it's very annoying and interferes with activities because I get blurred vision from the tears. They also running down my face. I'm going through a ton of Kleenex! I asked the doctor about it on Friday and he said I should give it time, he wouldn't want to remove them right away because I should give my eyes about 2-3 weeks to see if they self-regulate their tear production. I'm skeptical, so I would like to know if anyone here has experienced epiphora initially after double plugging and had it clear up on its own with time. It's weird because I did have temporary (3-7 day) collagen plugs inserted in the uppers first as a trial to make sure no epiphora occurred, and I didn't have it then. But one of the temporaries came out within 12 hours of insertion, and I'm thinking maybe the other one did too. In any case I would love to hear from those of you who have been in a similar situation, how did you resolve it? Many thanks in advance!

Hi,
    When I was double plugged, I did get excess tearing at first that eventually tapered off. I would occasionally get tears running down my face. The extra tears for me did not seem to help even though you think that it would. I hope it all works out for you.
    Lasik victim 2012

Comment

In many instances the excess will taper off. In those incidences where it doesn't many plug companies make a plug that has a flow through cylinder that allows some tear to still be removed from the ocular surface.

Comment

Working...
      X