This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about puncta plugs

I just got puncta plugs yesterday and I could tell a difference soon after. I am thrilled and hopeful. I know that I have to be careful not to rub the corners of my eyes, but I am worried about applying makeup. I didn't think to ask my doctor about it and can't find anything by googling other than don't rub. Is it something I need to be so worried about? I am so used to rubbing my eyes when I apply makeup or washing my face (bad habit, I know). I'm a little scared to even apply any makeup. Any tips on this?

I don't have an answer to your question, but I'm interested in hearing that the plugs are making a difference for you. Was it immediate or gradual? Huge difference, or just a bit?

My eye doc suggested them, but I'm a little weirded out by the thought of having something stuffed into my tear duct so I told him I wanted to give it more time.

Comment

Hi. I could tell a difference soon after I left the doctor's office and got to work. It is certainly not a "cure" but I am more comfortable now. I can feel a little more moisture in my eyes, but I don't have that problem with too many tears spilling over. I read that it can take a few days to notice a difference so I am hoping that they get even better. I am thankful for the difference but at the same time disappointed that it didn't make more of a difference. I just keep reminding myself of how bad I was before. I just want my eyes to be normal again. People really take that for granted. When I think about the time that I didn't have this problem, I can't believe it ever existed.

Comment

Did you get tops, bottoms or both done?

Comment

Just bottom.

Comment

Sorry izzyb, can't help you with the makeup question as I find my eyes are better if I don't use it so it has become special occasion only. When I do use it I apply and remove it normally and have not had a problem. I am happy tho hear that you notice a difference. If in a few months you are still feeling that it is not enough then try getting both uppers and lowers done. I had uppers, didn't help. Lowers didn't help. Both together BINGO huge difference.

To you maf19 don't be too 'weirded out' to try something that may well help you. You really don't much feel them going in and it only takes seconds to insert them. The worst is if they bug you once they are in place. I have benefited so much that I had the uppers permanently cauterized and still have the temporary ones in the lowers....cheers...F/G

Comment

farmgirl, I don't use eye makeup much anymore but I would like to because I feel like a hag at work. I did use mascara yesterday and I did have a little trouble getting it off since I was being so careful. I quit wearing eye makeup to see if it made a difference in my symptoms and it doesn't seem to. I just don't like to wear it because my eyes hurt so badly that I didn't want to do anything to them and it makes putting drops in harder since you have to clean up the area afterwards. But, I was also worried about applying foundation around my eyes with the plugs because I don't know just how careful you have to be with the plugs. I am afraid I will forget about them and rub them out. I am already thinking about what more I can do to make my eyes even better. I have been on Prednisolone for SLK and am now tapering off that. I have to go back in three weeks (from Monday) for another check up and he is going to put me on Restasis. I was on that before and didn't see any real difference, but maybe now I will. I will ask him about the uppers, but he already said usually you just get the lowers so I don't know what he will say when I ask again. I can feel these when I move my eyes far to the right and left. I kind of like that because then I know they are still in there. Getting cauterized would be nice so I wouldn't have to worry about dislodging the plugs. Can an optometrist do that? The opthamologist I was seeing (in the same office) didn't do anything for me but keep telling me to put more drops in which made them worse. Even though he diagnosed me, he didn't take me seriously. I don't think he even did a volume test. He said my blink rate was 5 (that is my evaporation, isn't it?) and that I had poor quality of tears not quantity. Then this new doctor said it was 3 and my volume was 8 and that was bad. Plus I had the SLK. I am happy so far with this new doctor. Out of three, he is the first one to make any difference.

maf19, I would recommend getting the plugs. So far so good with me and they have actually helped (not cured) and anything is better than nothing.

Comment

Maf19,
                When I had my plugs, the first thing the ophth did was insert collagen plugs which dissolve on their own. He said if they didn't help me, they don't need to be removed as they dissolve. It turned out they did help, and a month or so later (can't recall exactly) he inserted the non-dissolving ones. They did help me. Over time, they fell out, perhaps with eye surgeries.

I had new plugs in February and they are much more comfortable than previous ones. The first set irritated me when I looked too far to one side but the new ones are completely comfy without any irritation. I don't know the maker of the plugs, but they do help my dry eye, and there is absolutely no sensation of them, even when looking to one side. The insertion was a little bit uncomfortable, not painful, and after a day, the sensation went away. I'm very happy with mine.

May try the dissolving ones as they are not permanent just to see how you do with them.

Blinks

Comment

I don't wear makeup, couldn't with the condition of my eyes if I wanted to. I personally would advise against it. Our poor eyes are having a hard enough time without foreign substances dropping into them to further aggravate all that is going on. There's no way I would ever wear makeup with DED, with or w/o punctal plugs. Some people seem to get infections with their plugs. That's always a possibility that will happen, and the likelihood is increased if you've got other foreign matter falling into your eyes. I wore plugs the first time for 6 months in one eye, lower plug. Now I'm wearing them in both eyes, lower duct. They are helping some. And they are properly fitted and inserted this time, so not only can I not see them, but I am rarely aware of them. From the get-go I was barely aware of them this time. But this time, they were inserted by my doc at Wilmer, not U of MD. Big Big difference.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Blinks View Post
                    Maf19,
                    When I had my plugs, the first thing the ophth did was insert collagen plugs which dissolve on their own. He said if they didn't help me, they don't need to be removed as they dissolve. It turned out they did help, and a month or so later (can't recall exactly) he inserted the non-dissolving ones. They did help me. Over time, they fell out, perhaps with eye surgeries.

I had new plugs in February and they are much more comfortable than previous ones. The first set irritated me when I looked too far to one side but the new ones are completely comfy without any irritation. I don't know the maker of the plugs, but they do help my dry eye, and there is absolutely no sensation of them, even when looking to one side. The insertion was a little bit uncomfortable, not painful, and after a day, the sensation went away. I'm very happy with mine.

May try the dissolving ones as they are not permanent just to see how you do with them.

Blinks
                    Blinks - I have silicone non-dissolving plugs, and mine hurt when I look to the side. Can you possibly ask your doctor the name and maker of the new plugs you received that are comfy for you without any irritation?!

Thanks so much in advance for your help!

Comment

Hi Blinks. My name is Patrick. I'm seeing my Eye Doc. tomorrow to see if Punctal Plugs are a good treatment for me. As of right now I've been on every over the counter drop on the shelf and have been on Restasis for a few months but haven't seen any huge improvement. Since you like your plugs a lot I was wondering if you could let me know the name of them.

Thanks,
                      Patrick

Comment

Patrick, I just PMed you. Sorry that I just saw your message here. I don't know the name of the plug brand, but the doctor had a difficult time fitting them and said my tear ducts were very tiny. (who would think??)
                        My only suggestion is to avoid Medennium SMARTPlug as it is associated with an increased incidence of canaliculitis which can cause all kinds of extremely nasty infections and possible surgery.
                        Best of luck with your appointment.
                        The first set of plugs were the dissolving type, then I had the permanent ones, so that may be another thought. Let us know how it goes.
                        Best wishes,
                        Blinks

Comment

Working...
                        X