Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Read here that punctal plugs should be used after 6 weeks of steroids but i used....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Read here that punctal plugs should be used after 6 weeks of steroids but i used....

after 3 weeks as i could not stand the pain. It siad problems can worsen if you do them too early. Should i be worried?

Vicki, you cannot take everything you read here or anywhere as gospel. Please try to stop worrying.... There is absolutely nothing magical about putting plugs in at some specific stage after steroid use and I daresay the vast majority of people here with plugs did not get them put in after 6 weeks on steroids.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Thanks Rebecca. I am predisposed to paranoia, obsessivness and am a scaredy cat I will be the 1st to admit this. The one thing is i have a high pain threshold and it scares me that with this there seems to be no limit to the pain level with this. You never hear about dry eyes on TV or anywhere else. It's as if it is no big deal or doesnt exist. Take an OTC product for dry eyes and voila! You dont see them talking about the seriousness of severe dry eyes on 20/20 or something. I am glad for the little bit of relief i do feel from the plugs. But I am going from super severe pain to severe pain that is why i want more.

Comment

Steroids and Plugs

Vicki,

I agree with Rebecca, from my experience, I have been on and off steroids for the past couple of months now, some of the time I had plugs in, some of the times I didn't.

My DR put me on Steroids for 10 days when my eyes were pretty bad. At the time I had plugs in. My theory is if anything, the plug keeps the steroid on the eye longer (a bit like the Restasis theory), whether this is a good thing or a bad thing depends on the doctor you see on the day.

I think the longer that you deal with this the more likely you will be prepared to experiment with different things. If I want to try something new, I generally take the product (or some literature) along to the doctor, run it past him and get his opinion. Fortunately, I am at my DR regularly so I have this opportunity.

Take care of yourself and try to worry less about this. I know it is difficult as my life has been turned upside down but you just have to get on with it the best way you can and sometimes that means making an informed choices of your own.

Cheers

Ian

Comment

No Steroids before Plugs

Originally posted by Vicki In Oregon
          after 3 weeks as i could not stand the pain. It siad problems can worsen if you do them too early. Should i be worried?
          I did not use any steroids before the 2 lower plugs. I started with the steroids after they were placed. I feel much better compared to before.. No major issues, although I am not back to normal yet.

Comment

I used steroids for only 3 weeks, as my eye doctor said he refused to prescribe them any longer than that. Everyone is different, every eye is different, every doctor is different. You know what helped me the most, Vickie? Getting all four puncta plugged and then getting a new puppy. My new baby forced me to focus my attention on something and someone else other than myself! Sometimes I think distraction is the best medicine. I now force myself to go outside for walks when it is windy, and go to the pet store where the ventilation drives me crazy. I guess I put the needs of my puppy above my own. Just sharing my experience.
            Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

kitty got a puppy?

I was on steroid eyedrop for 3 weeks before getting totally plugged.
              Last edited by np1981; 08-Nov-2006, 02:33.

Comment

Working...
              X