Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cleaning plaque from punctal plugs. Have you had this done?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning plaque from punctal plugs. Have you had this done?

Hello All,

I have a doctor whom I now becoming increasingly convinced is in it only for the money ...and really doesn't care about his patients.

He claims that he won't guarantee the plugs, but that in three years he will remove them and clean plaque off of them.

Is such a thing possible, to take plugs out and clean the plaque from them? I would like to hear from someone knowledgeable on this, or if someone could ask their doctor.

Thank you.

Joe B

It sounds a bit odd to me. I have never heard of a plug being re-used. They need to be sterile going in. By stating that he will clean the plug, that indicates to me that he plans to re-insert it. There are threads on this site where people have had plugs in for many years without needing to have them changed, but when they did need it, new plugs were placed. Are you sure you heard this doctor correctly?
    Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

cleaning plugs

I have to agree with Kitty. It does not seem logical that plugs could be cleaned and reinserted. I am curious as to what he is talking about regarding "plaque". Recently, I had to have my plugs removed and my doctor would never have dreamed of using them again. He explained that they eventually deteriorate and get dirty and therefore, need to be tossed out. He inserted new ones, but unfortunately, they just didn't stay in. I finally gave in and went for cautery. This was the best thing I have had done since I was diagnosed with a dry eye condition.

Comment

Thanks guys for the answers Enjoy the last days of summer

Comment

Working...
        X