cautery... my observations...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cautery... my observations...

Hi all... for what it's worth, I'm going to put this out there.

So as many of you know, I have my upper puncta cauterized. The upper right has stayed shut ever since day 1 - awesome. The upper left has not been nearly as cooperative and re-opens within a few weeks (5 weeks was my record for it staying shut, up until this last time where it has now been shut for almost 2.5 mo. and no signs of re-opening) I've been wondering if the exact way that that the dr. performs the cautery makes a difference... here's why.

When my dr. did my upper right puncta (the one that has stayed shut for over 3 years now), he put the cautery device in the puncta, and kept it in there for a fair bit, then took it out. When he did my upper left, he started off the same way, but then I could feel some heat and I when I let him know, he took out the cautery device, added more freezing, then re-inserted the cautery device for a bit more time. (Between the 2 insertions, the total time was about equal to how long it was in the upper right... except for the upper right, it was in there all at once with no break in between) Anyhow, within a month, that upper left puncta re-opened.

2nd attempt for upper left: dr. put in the cautery device once for a few seconds, took it out, then re-inserted it for a few more seconds. Within 5 weeks, the puncta re-opened.

3rd attempt for upper left: I mentioned to the dr. my observations from the first few couple of attempts, and asked him if the length of time the cautery device was inserted all in a row could make a difference. He said when they are learning cautery, it's basically like "just stick it in for a few seconds" and the texts don't really go into detail... I guess when they are learning it for practice too, maybe the dr's training them don't go into much detail either? Point being, there apparently isn't much in the way of details regarding technique that is taught. ie. do you stick it in once for say, 3 seconds, and that's it? do you stick it in deeper for say 3 seconds, take it out, then stick it in one last time to cauterize another 3 seconds but a bit less deep that time? do you stick it in deep for 6 seconds and that's it? Do you cauterize for a total of 3 seconds and that's it? how long?

Anyhow, it was an interesting conversation, and kind of cool to hear from their side of things how they know, or don't know, how long to stick it in there etc. I assume with experience, they maybe get a feel for it, but then again, there aren't many people like us who need cautery, so maybe they don't end up doing it all that much? who knows...

Bottom line though, is for the last attempt, the dr. did it more like it was done the first time on my upper right (the one that has stayed shut for over 3 years now) - he put in the cautery device, and left it there for a longer time (relatively speaking haha... not like it was in there for 5 minutes or anything like that)... he kept it in there long enough for me to feel the heat for a few seconds (at first, you feel nothing... but after a few seconds, you can feel heat). So 1 insertion, and "longer" one at that. And lo and behold, that puncta appears to be staying shut this time.

Thought this might be of interest to any fellow patients getting cautery done... and maybe a doc or two might find this interesting also (or maybe not? who knows... just putting it out there)

Have a good day all!

Originally posted by SAAG View Post
    He said when they are learning cautery, it's basically like "just stick it in for a few seconds" and the texts don't really go into detail... I guess when they are learning it for practice too, maybe the dr's training them don't go into much detail either? Point being, there apparently isn't much in the way of details regarding technique that is taught. ie. do you stick it in once for say, 3 seconds, and that's it? do you stick it in deeper for say 3 seconds, take it out, then stick it in one last time to cauterize another 3 seconds but a bit less deep that time? do you stick it in deep for 6 seconds and that's it? Do you cauterize for a total of 3 seconds and that's it? how long?
    I've had cautery about, hm, 9 times with 5 different doctors. During my first 10 years of dry eye, most doctors just concentrated on the two lowers saying that's all I needed. Starting in around 2009, I added the uppers and got 3 or 4 puncta cauterized in single appointments. And once, I had "deep" cautery to one lower punctum (it re-opened --> I got it sutured --> it opened again --> I got cauterized again).

I've had a few different explanations of technique. For example, two of the doctors explained that they just touch the outside of the puncta with the cautery tool. I've had this done twice (to 2 or 3 puncta in a single appointment) without any anesthesia. These doctors say they just want to create a "mini-seal" or superficial closure of the punctum. For me, these ones always re-open on their own. It could be a day, a week, or a month later, but they always reopen.

Another doctor told me he puts the device in the punctum and then cauterizes as he removes it. This creates more "damage". He said it's irreversible -- that is, of course, until it reversed!

From my experience, I've found that "deep" cautery (in the hands of a doctor I now believe knows squat) just destroys tissue while NOT closing the punctum. During my appointment with this oculoplastic ophthalmologist, he put the device in "deep" and cauterized as he removed it. He did this three times. But every time, he went back to stick the device in, it just kept going in! After the third time, he just said that he couldn't close it. I ended up with a big BLACK hole at the site. When it healed, I still had the CRATER, it just wasn't black anymore. And the punctum was OPEN!

Suturing, again from my experience, does not permanently close the puntum.

So, I can't figure out if it's the doctor's technique that makes my puncta reopen or if it's just something with the body... perhaps, even with zero tears, blinking puts continual force on the puncta to open? I do think that cautery in the hands of a doofus doctor is VERY bad... perhaps causing more eye problems. However, I do know that, for me, cautery works best. I would recommend that people find a doctor who has performed A LOT of cautery (if doctors aren't taught how to do it, I assume that experience would teach them -- and the more experience, the better for you). I wish I could be 100% certain, but it's still hit-or-miss for me!!

Comment

Most studies show that cauterized puncta reopen between 50-70% of the time within 12 months. I am not sure if technique has been discussed in any of the studies(its been about 3 years since i read them). I am unaware if any new ones that have been published.

Comment

Originally posted by indrep View Post
        Most studies show that cauterized puncta reopen between 50-70% of the time within 12 months. I am not sure if technique has been discussed in any of the studies(its been about 3 years since i read them). I am unaware if any new ones that have been published.
        Yup, seems to me an analysis of technique and what is the most effective is overdue then!
        Last edited by SAAG; 10-Jan-2022, 21:54.

Comment

Thanks for the post SAAG, I needed to hear this.
          I've been avoiding cautery in the hope that something "eventually" will be released that leads to tear production. If that happens and you have irreversible closed ducts...then you'll be tearing constantly. Toxic tears is another threat I wanted to avoid.
          But the type of surgery I had "DCR" left me with HUGE punctas and dilated intracaniculars. So the little tears I product drain out a lot quicker. So I am considering cautery and the information I wanted to pass on is that my occuloplastic surgeon said she's never had a cautery she's done re-open because she sutures over the cauterized tissue. Interesting!

Comment

Saag: Did you get the swollen, bruised eyes that I got with your cautery? or was it a 'walk in the park' procedure for you?

Comment

Originally posted by farmgirl View Post
              Saag: Did you get the swollen, bruised eyes that I got with your cautery? or was it a 'walk in the park' procedure for you?
              Nothing major... the first time was the worst in terms of symptoms... I couldn't look in the direction of the cautery too far because the swelling in the area felt like it was rubbing too much against my eyeball. Other than that, my lid was a tiny bit swollen for a few hours, plus, I had a tiny bruise where the local anesthetic was injected into the lid... but not noticeable to anyone but me. Also, going to work that day would have been a bad idea since it was uncomfortable to look around (eyeball movement was irritating)

Every subsequent cautery has been a cakewalk... maybe everything is so scarred now it doesn't swell up much anymore? who knows...

Comment

Originally posted by DCRdryeye View Post
                the information I wanted to pass on is that my occuloplastic surgeon said she's never had a cautery she's done re-open because she sutures over the cauterized tissue. Interesting!
                Yeah, that IS interesting...
                Last edited by SAAG; 10-Jan-2022, 21:53.

Comment

I had mine done in July and they have not reopened - yet, but my God I was a mess. Swollen and burgundy red from one end of the lid to the other, just like I had taken a good solid punch to the eye. I would post a picture but I am too embarrassed. To me it begs the question, was yours done properly in the first place...F/G

Comment

SAAG - I'm not sure if she sutures first or cauterizes and then sutures, I'd guess the latter. She's in Australia, her contact is:

Dr. Maryla Stelmach,
                    Epworth Hospital - Suite 1.1,
                    89 Bridge Rd, Richmond VIC 3121, Australia
                    1300 721 234

Comment

Interesting. I currently have (semi?) permanent plugs in my lower ducts.
                      My optometrist has suggested that it could be a good idea to have these plugs replaced by real permanent plugs after a month in case these plugs provide any relief.
                      What i'd like to know is what is the advantage of cautery compared to permanent plugs? Reading the previous posts i was thinking this cautery is such a tremendous hassle. And then the ducts just open again in a while in most cases. permanent plugs must have a down side i don't know about...

Patrick...

Comment

Hey patrick, I'm no expert on plugs but have tried Duraplugs on several occasions (they are 3 months dissolvable plugs). Only a slight improvement was noticed. I've read permanent plugs work better, but there are dramas, for eg: with external plugs (recommended), problems may rise with getting a correct fit, comfort levels, plugs falling out, etc. External plugs never worked for me. In comparison, the cautery, I'm sure it will heal after the initial procedure. I'd look for a doctor who uses "sutures" to make sure it doesn't re-open. Then, you have none of the problems with plugs, you can't feel it rub on your eyeball, it won't come out lol. But the two concerns I have are... It's irreversible, and what about toxic tears? The minimal tears we produce are not draining into the nose and washing the ocular surface (like car windscreen wipers as we blink). So the same tears are on the eyeball due to blocked puncta's creating possible inflammation?... this is possible for both silicone and cautery.

Comment

IMO it is very important to take the proper steps before cautery. That is, pleeeeease, test out different plugs first. Start with dissolvables (10-day and 3-month). If lowers don't help, add uppers. If this doesn't help, move on to permanent silicone plugs in the lowers (often permanent silicone plugs in the uppers annoy eye surfaces) and dissolvables in the uppers. Please do NOT get permanent intracanalicular plugs!!! Get your doctor onboard to try different types, brands, and sizes. You want to hit on the perfect seal for you. As a final option, I would go to cautery - mainly because, as DCR writes, it's irreversible (well, hmmm, almost irreversible).

Comment

spmcc hit the nail on the head patrick. My advice exactly. I did get my uppers cauterized because the temporaries helped and my previous experience with uppers was the 'scratching the eyeball' feeling. I am probably never going to be 100% due to the Sjogrens and didn't want to take the risks posed by permanent intracanalicular plugs. By the same token I didn't want to have no recourse should I have problems with overflowing like Tankie or toxic tears so I got the permanent removable silicone plugs on the lowers rather than cautery. I do have one plug that keeps popping out so need to get a custom fit one ordered when I get back to Canada in April. I have a 6 month dissolvable one in there now but it doesn't plug as well as the silicone. There are many options to cautery and you want to make darned sure you are not going to regret it later should you recover...cheers.....F/G

Comment

Originally posted by spmcc View Post
                              IMO it is very important to take the proper steps before cautery. That is, pleeeeease, test out different plugs first. Start with dissolvables (10-day and 3-month). If lowers don't help, add uppers. If this doesn't help, move on to permanent silicone plugs in the lowers (often permanent silicone plugs in the uppers annoy eye surfaces) and dissolvables in the uppers. Please do NOT get permanent intracanalicular plugs!!! Get your doctor onboard to try different types, brands, and sizes. You want to hit on the perfect seal for you. As a final option, I would go to cautery - mainly because, as DCR writes, it's irreversible (well, hmmm, almost irreversible).
                              Same as F/G, I totally agree with spmcc... definitely a good idea to explore reversible options first - if they work, great! if not, then cautery can be a lifesaver!

Comment

Working...
                              X