This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Lesson About Punctal Plugs

As I've stated in a previous post, I had my power puncta plugged in January 2011, I had my upper puncta plugged on December 21, 2012 (almost 2 years later), and I felt great.

However, I then had tear overflow issues which caused a terrible rash underneath my eyes so the upper plugs had to come out.

After removing the upper plugs, while the rash went away, I noticed that I would still overflow with tears when I was walking out doors or running. It was only when sitting or standing still that the drainage through the upper puncta was able to keep up with my tears produced by my lacrimal glands.

However, I've been testing my eyes for the past week (it's been 9 days since I've had the plugs removed) and my tears no longer over flow. Any obstruction that was present in the upper ducts seems to have been removed; either that, or my lacrimal glands have made an adjustment to the amount of drainage present in my eyes and have stopped over producing tears.

This is great news!

I must admit that my right eye seems to be on the brink of overflow when I run as hard as I can, but it didn't overflow, and I ran for a good 15 minutes as hard as I could. I might still seek getting a punctal irrigation just to be on the safe side, but the problem seems to have resolved itself.

The lesson:
    - If you ever have your upper plugs removed due to tear overflow, wait 7-10 days before complaining about continued overflow because the problem may resolve on it's own.

One last thing I should probably mention that I never said before is that before recently, I would notice that my left nostril would run, but my right nostril would not run (right eye was the eye that overflowed most easily).

Now both nostrils run when I run, showing that the tears are able to make it into my nose

Comment

Hey tankie, this is great news! What was the reason for having the upper plugs inserted? Were you still uncomfortable with just the lower ducts plugged?

Comment

Hi tankie. I wanted to tell you how happy I am that you have found relief. I know what a long journey it has been so far and it's wonderful news that you are finally triumphant. I'm still struggling to find relief and its stories like yours that give me a little more hope.

P

Comment

Thank you both. You've been very supportive of me and it means a lot more than you know, so thank you.

I put the upper plugs in in the first place because I was feeling dry. However, since removing them for whatever reason I seem to feel a lot better. I know it makes no sense, but I do. The only two changes to my life are that I've moved out of my house and I live on my own now, and I eat cereal with milk a lot more. I know the people who think milk helps dry eyes will have a hay day with this. I myself once believed this to be true, and now I'm questioning it again. And yes, I realize full well how silly that sounds, but whatever, I feel good, and I'm so grateful for it!

Interestingly enough I'm about to have one of the lumen plugs put in today. I'm going to inquire about the irrigation and we'll see what happens. I might get the plug taken right back out again in as little as a week. As I said, I really do feel quite good, but it's still not perfect which is why I'm going for the lumen plug. Either way, if I had to live the rest of my life with way I could handle it and live happily. That's not something I could have said a year ago.

Comment

ive tried plugs with a lumen in them and the lumen always got clogged so that the plug effectively became a regular plug. good luck

Comment

Thanks for this grant. I don't doubt you for a moment. I'll let you know how it goes.

My doctor decided that we should wait a few more weeks before putting them in so I'm going to see her again in 2-3 weeks (waiting for the email of my appointment time).

An interesting fact: I made dry eye history today. I am the first person in Canadian history to order a pair of Odyssey flow controller plugs to be used in Canada. Put me in the hall of fame =). Apparently the shipping into Canada only got approved this February.

Comment

Working...
              X