This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• punctal plugs

I have Sjogren's Syndrome and dry eyes. My left eye is mild and my right eye is severe. I have Blepheritis in the right eye. When I clean my right eye lid with a swab (soaked from the liquid out of a Ocusoft scrub), I can see tiny bumps on the lid. I asked a doc about it and he said it was "nothing." ????
    My left eye doesn't bother me (although the vision is an issue in my left eye).
    My right eye always feels like something is in it. One doctor said my right eye looks sort of rough and dry.

I wear glasses perhaps 98%-99% of the time. I wear contacts for special occasions...perhaps a total of 4-5 hours a week. When I use them, I put drops for contacts in every 30 minutes.

Would there be any advantage of getting a punctal plug? What is the downside? Does it help folks with Sjogren's?????

Many thanks!

I also have Sjogren's. In the past I have had 'dry' spots on my corneas every time I went to the Dr. Since then I experimented with plugs, first uppers (didn't help) then lowers (didn't help) Then I had 3 week dissolvable plugs inserted in all 4 ducts - bingo it made a world of difference. As a result I have cauterized the uppers and have umbrella plugs in the lowers. My eyes are finally happy. I rarely have overflow tears so that is not a problem. I can't comment on your 'bumps' but maybe someone else can. I was told i have blepheritis but after an examination with a lipiview machine, it turns out I don't.

The downside of plugs is possible infection and as a rule it seems that it is best to avoid the type that fit into the duct as they are not removable and are more prone to infection. I have not had any problems to date except for the fact that one kept falling out and i had to have a custom fit larger one ordered.

The other 'lifesaver' that I have are goggle glasses. WileyX Brick are my favorite. I got them as dark as possible and had my prescription ground into the lenses. I got them from a company called Safevision online. They sent me 6 pairs of frames which I paid for with Visa and got a credit when i returned them. Fit is important so before you go paying for prescription lenses I recommend you make sure the frames fit your face. You may be able to find someone local who carries them if you live in a larger center.

I rarely go outside without them and even got clear ones which I wear around the house if need be.

The last thing I am going to recommend is Serum drops. These are made at a compounding pharmacy from your own blood plasma. The serum contains nutrients which heal the cornea. Since starting on the serum drops I have never been told i have dry spots on my corneas.

Having said all that I will say I am not 'cured' but I a definitely controlled. I am comfortable about 80% of the time and when i am uncomfortable it is usually later in the day and a good sleep refreshes me.

Hope all this helps....F/G

Comment

Working...
    X