Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

eye better today-but plug fell through punctum lastnight!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eye better today-but plug fell through punctum lastnight!!

ok. i thought my plug was coming out so i pushed it down and it fell into my punctum.. i didnt freak but it was 10 pm. i did page my doc -he said it would be ok and to come in 8am today.. so i did.. he said i was the 1st patient that this has happened to that he was able to get the plug out ! i guess if he hadnt been able to get it out i was going to be referred to an ocuoplastic surgeon..then he said it would have so much scar tissue there would be no need for a plug but that might not be a good thing if i ever got better (we hope)

anyway, my punctum now is so large i go back in 2 days to get a new plug. he is hoping the tissue will settle down .. he tried the same plug at first and it completely turned upside down! so he took it out!

weird thing is -i am overtearing w/o the plug for now.. and i had been bone dry in this eye.. sjogrens/hormones.. weirdness..

any thoughts? and i wonder why it would be dangerous to let a plug stay inside your eye since it fell in there? anybody know?

My first 2 permanent plugs went down in the punctum when the doctor placed them. Later on another doctor put in 2 more because he wanted to see them to know they were there. I assume part of the motivation may have been money. Later I had both ducts cauterized. Just recently one of the cauterized ducts opened up and one of the plugs popped through. Another doctor has offered to put in another plug, but I said no. I was never sure that plugs really helped and I am concerned about scar tissue interfering with the plug being seated correctly. I think I will get cautery again - I guess I dread the deadening shots.

Comment

i had cautery on my upper ducts.. 1st time is was superificial and came undone-2nd time -same doc-same thing happened.. when i went to a new doc. it worked like a dream .and wasnt that bad at all. if they came undone i would do it again in a heartbeat..

what is weird now is that with the lower right plug out my right eye feels better today..it was feeling better last night before it fell into the punctum but i guess it is a sjogrens things..not sure.. weird.

Comment

What type of plugs were used? intracaniicular or the umbrella style?

I recently had to go back to my eye doc again to have my lowers put in again because they fell out AGAIN... The doc continues to put bigger ones in, I'm wondering if that is continually causing my puncta to stretch and expand.

Comment

Originally posted by patientpatrick View Post
          What type of plugs were used? intracaniicular or the umbrella style?

I recently had to go back to my eye doc again to have my lowers put in again because they fell out AGAIN... The doc continues to put bigger ones in, I'm wondering if that is continually causing my puncta to stretch and expand.
          umbrella..i had it over a year or so-mine always fall out yearly because i do the compresses and massage and i think over time they get lose

my doc is so wonderful -i went in a month ago on a sat-he never charged me..he didnt charge me for Wednesday either and hopefully when i go today a new plug (larger) will fit.. My opening is quite large due to the fact that for years it was scarred shut and then it reopened on its own but had to be prodded open to get a plug in--not sure if that is why its large tho.. i need to talk to my doc about that. o well.. i am just glad he got it out when it fell trough!

Comment

How did the doc remove the plug?

Comment

Working...
            X