Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice on plugs please

Hi.

About 1.5 months ago my new eye doc put four plugs in, the Oasis dissolving kind, and told me to come back in 3 months. After about two weeks I noticed my eyes felt better. He also had me on a month of daily use of FML. About two weeks ago I noticed my eyes were starting to go back to being red and not feeling as good. I have no idea if I still have the plugs as I was never able to see them in the first place. I'd like to know what kind I should ask for when I see him again. I know some are really problematic, but know nothing of which type is best for me. Any advice would be great.

Thanks!

I had those too. Couldn't notice any difference. Not sure if mine dissolved extra quick or what. Maybe look into the Eagle silicone plugs-you can see them and I have noticed more tears with those.

Comment

The "90 day" plugs can last from 70something days to 100 days. It depends on your tear volume.

As for a long term solution I would ask for silicone plugs. They are relatively easy to insert and remove if needed. There are several companies that make these plugs. The top three are Oasis, Odyssey and Eaglevision.

Comment

Thank you. I will be sure to ask for silicone. Is there a way to tell if mine are still in?

Comment

Yes. The doctor can try irrigating the lacrimal system. If there is resistance the plugs are still there. There is a very high likelihood that this would wash out what is left of the plugs.

Comment

So the doctor won't be able to see the plugs I currently have in to know whether they are there? Do the plugs allow natural tears to come out? Maybe that's a stupid question.

Does it hurt to irrigate the lacrimal system?

Do the permanent silicone plugs look strange once they are inserted?

Originally posted by indrep View Post
            Yes. The doctor can try irrigating the lacrimal system. If there is resistance the plugs are still there. There is a very high likelihood that this would wash out what is left of the plugs.

Comment

Originally posted by tiff View Post
              So the doctor won't be able to see the plugs I currently have in to know whether they are there? Do the plugs allow natural tears to come out? Maybe that's a stupid question.

Does it hurt to irrigate the lacrimal system?

Do the permanent silicone plugs look strange once they are inserted?
              The plugs do not prevent ears from "coming out." They stop drainage, so your eye-socket holds more tears.

I had one of my plugs irrigated out. It wasn't necessarily painful, but very uncomfortable. Basically he shoots water into the drainage hole until you feel water in the back of your throat. That means the plug has been washed out. It sounds yucky, but it's not that bad.

The plugs don't look strange at all. Other people will not be able to see that you have them whatsoever.
              32/M ATD • Getting better every day!

Comment

Working...
              X