This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just got my lowers plugged today....

And I'm at home and my eyes feel uncomfortable. If I look left or right, I can feel the plugs. And now my eyes feel like they're more dry!!! I've been putting in drops in my eyes for the last hour. I've been reading the forum and it seems plugs can be uncomfortable for up to a week, but just hope it's not doing any real damage. The inner corners of my sclera are slightly red. I'll wait a few days to see how I tolerate them....this blows..

Please remember that eyes are usually irritated after doctor's appointments!! They use all sorts of drops and stains that annoy already-sensitive eye surfaces!! I always have a bad day and bad next day after seeing my ophthalmologist, even if he does nothing but look thru the slit lamp! Did you try cool/cold compresses? Has your doctor ever prescribed steroid drops? If yes, is it something he/she said you can use for flare-ups? I always keep some on hand for these types of emergencies.

Good luck. I hope you feel better soon.

Comment

thanks spmcc....i actually ended up going to the docs today and he said that my puncta pointed sort of inwards towards my eyes....because of that they were touching my sclera and thus the irritation. ive had temp plugs in the past that didnt have the same effect, so i think maybe it was this type of plug...

it really sucks because i really wanted it to work. but to be honest...having them out today feels sooo much better. maybe cautery is the answer but not sure about such a permanent procedure at this point.

sigh. this dry eye life ... really just sucks and brings me down.

Comment

Can you try a different type of plug? or stuff it in farther?

Personally I wouldn't call cauterization permanent, because for me they just opened back up on their own.

Comment

do you think the cauterization helped?

Comment

My situation is unique, so let me start by saying that yes, now I would say it helps. I put drops in my eyes every 20-40 minutes and it helps keep them in there longer so my sclera can bathe. It didn't help enough to make my eyes bearable, by any stretch of the imagination. But it is helpful. And noticeably worse when they open up. Having both done was better than just bottom.

Although when I first had my cauterization, my eye actually started behaving normally for like a month. It was totally bizarre and nobody has an explanation for it. I thought I was "healed". When it went dry again, they put a plug in, which helped again but not as much. Suddenly my eyes stopped tearing at all. Kinda messed with their "your nerves were severed" theory - so they just act like I'm crazy when I bring it up. I came back when I thought that fell out because I suddenly had no moisture, and they said it was still in. Then they cauterized it again and added the tops. And again. And again. I forget how many times.

Right now the doctor "thinks" (i.e. probably is tired of dealing with me so did this just to get me to go away) the bottom is still cauterized but way down deep. Far enough that he was able to put a plug in. So i've had a plug in for the last, hmmm, I'd have to look it up but since the beginning of the year I think. Cauterization with plug on top has definitely lasted the longest for me.

I've had plugs put in a couple times that felt wrong when I walked out. I walked right back in, and he either said they came part way out and put in a new one, or pushed it in farther. Then they were all fine for me. I've had numerous types, but I don't know for sure which. The temporary ones never stayed in more than a week.

Comment

Hi there,

I just wanted to share a success story regarding punctal plugs and Restasis, which hopefully will encourage others to take action sooner rather than later. Long story short, I have punctal plugs in my lower two tear ducts and I LOVE them. I would encourage everyone with dry eyes to try it. The question shouldn't be, "are my eyes bad enough to warrant punctal plugs?" but rather, "why not try punctal plugs?". Honestly, you have nothing to lose, besides just a little money. I can hardly feel mine in there anymore, except when I move my eyes to the extreme left or right, but it's funny how my body has now learned not to do that because of the slight irritation. Bottom line is, the plugs worked awesome! I've had them in there for around five years now and they're still working perfectly!

Secondly, I just started taking Restasis for inflammation-induced dry eyes. For me, it's not the tear quantity, but rather the quality of the tears that's lacking. After using Restasis for only a month, I've already noticed a difference. In fact, I actually noticed a difference within the first week! The first thing I noticed was that my vision was much clearer. My ophthalmologist said my blurry vision was entirely caused by dry eye, by the way, and he was right! The second thing I noticed was that my eyes didn't get as "tired" at the end of a workday (I'm a financial analyst so I stare at spreadsheets all day). It definitely feels like the quality of my tears has already improved. I also don't get nearly as much discharge building up at the inner corner of my eye, which I think is a sign of healthier tear film. Finally, my eyes are noticeably whiter (except right after putting the drops in, because it does sting for a few minutes), which is a great side effect.

I hope people may read this and decide to take action--to try punctal plugs and Restasis. You may just love them as much as I do! It's been a long, frustrating journey for me and my Accutane-induced dry eyes, but I really think I see the end in sight. My eyes are much, much better than they were before I first tried punctal plugs. And after a few more months on Restasis, I think they'll be even better!

All the best. Good luck everyone!
              Sean

Comment

Hi Sean,
                I am glad to hear this piece of good news. My opth. kept putting in temporary dissolvable plugs for me and I felt the improvement marginal. I wanted to try permanent plugs with cap, he said he had one bad experience when he tried pulling out the silicon plug, the cap came out and the tip went into the eye. However, I do not want to constantly worry about the plugs getting dissolved and having my punctum enlargd every month!

May I know are your plugs with cap? The same pair has been in your eyes for 5 years? Is there a need to change plug?

I am using Restasis, so far quite good.

Thanks for your advise.

Comment

Hi tealeaf,

Mine do have caps on them, and while I do feel the tiniest of irritation from the caps when I move my eyes to the extreme left or right, it is actually quite comforting to know that they're still in there doing their job! On my last visit to my ophthalmologist, he said he didn't think the plugs were still there because he didn't see them at first, but I told him I could feel them in there, so he looked again and sure enough they're still there after five years!

I don't think there's any need to change them. The thought never crossed my mind, actually.

I should mention that I also tried the temporary plugs at first, and they worked great for a few days. That's how I knew I wanted to try the permanent ones, and boy am I ever glad I did!

Best of luck! I'm sure you'll love them just like I do.

Sean
                  Last edited by seanrez; 25-Jul-2014, 17:27. Reason: just a tiny edit

Comment

Hi Sean,
                    Thanks for your reply. Do you find the permanent plugs work better than the temporary ones? After 5 years of permanent plugs, do you find the dryness improve from the 1st year of installation of plugs?

Comment

Originally posted by tealeaf View Post
                      Hi Sean,
                      Thanks for your reply. Do you find the permanent plugs work better than the temporary ones? After 5 years of permanent plugs, do you find the dryness improve from the 1st year of installation of plugs?
                      Hi tealeaf,

Yes, the permanent plugs work better than the temporary plugs, if only because the temporary plugs start to dissolve on the first day. You don't even know if they're still in there. The permanent ones are just slightly annoying for the first few days, until you get used to them. You can feel the "cap" on your eye when you move your eyes to the extreme left or right, but you quickly adjust to that and forget all about it. Plugs are awesome. Keeping more tears in the eye just makes good sense for people with dry eyes. Why would you not use plugs if you have dry eyes? I'd highly recommend them for every single person who uses this site.

The plugs worked immediately, and once I got used to them, they've worked the same ever since.

Comment

This post is music to my ears, why are ophthalmologists so reluctant to give patients plugs, it confuses me.
                        Originally posted by seanrez View Post
                        Hi tealeaf,

Yes, the permanent plugs work better than the temporary plugs, if only because the temporary plugs start to dissolve on the first day. You don't even know if they're still in there. The permanent ones are just slightly annoying for the first few days, until you get used to them. You can feel the "cap" on your eye when you move your eyes to the extreme left or right, but you quickly adjust to that and forget all about it. Plugs are awesome. Keeping more tears in the eye just makes good sense for people with dry eyes. Why would you not use plugs if you have dry eyes? I'd highly recommend them for every single person who uses this site.

The plugs worked immediately, and once I got used to them, they've worked the same ever since.
                        27, pinguecula, dry eye, Wirral, UK

Comment

Hi all,

I just got a flow control upper plug but my eye is still tearing. My lower one fell out but there is too much scar tissue to reinsert which is not a bad thing Can anyone tell me if the tearing will eventually stop as my body adjusts? I have tried upper plugs before with no luck and thought the flow control would be the answer but it is not thus far. Thank you so much!

Comment

Cathy,
                            I guess it depends on the individual opth. Another opth. I saw half year ago was keen to put in silicone plugs with cap for me, but I was not ready back then. Am going to her this coming Tue to have permanent lower plugs inserted. I am praying that she will be able to get the right fit for me.

Amyfloor,
                            If the upper plug is not rubbing your sclera, then I supposed the tearing will stop after a couple of days. I read somewhere in this forum that the eyes will take some time to adjust.

Comment

Amyfloor,

It does take a couple weeks for your eyes to adjust, but the difference is not that significant. if you have a ton of excess tearing, any adjustment will not likely be sufficient. I tried flow controllers as well, and they did not work. My Doctor does not like them because in most people, they clog up almost immediately, resulting in the same affect as a regular plug.

Comment

Working...
                              X