This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plugs with scleral lenses

I recently got fitted with scleral lenses. I was never able to wear contacts due to dry eye and 17 years ago had RK. Im now at +8 and +6. The Sclerals have me at 20/15 in each eye, which is awesome. However, my eyes still feel extremely dry. I get the cold or menthol sensation, particularly indoors. My doc says that it is surface dryness on the lenses. After a few hours, the corners of my eye not covered by the lens are very bloodshot and irritated. It has been suggested that I get plugs. Is there anyone on here that have sclerals and plugs? If so, what type of plugs do you have? Do they work well with the lenses?

I wear BFS scleral lenses with lower plugs. I don't know if they help but it certainly doesn't hurt. Just make sure they lay "flat" or else they can be irritating with the lenses.
    Hope that helps!

Comment

I have a bottom plug (sorry forget what kind - it's "permanent" type and hasn't fallen out since I got it I think I in January or February. It's white, and I can see it) inside of a cauterized puncum (was cauterized, anyways). My top is also cauterized. That works fine with the lenses. I don't make tears (unless I'm crying or yawning), but it helps keep my drops in longer.

I'm not sure, but I think the feeling I get is from the uncovered parts of my scleral. But maybe it's from the temperature of the solution over the eye. If I wear moisture chambers or motorcycle glasses, and use drops (right now every 20 minutes when I'm driving my bike, or every 30-60 minutes inside), the cold sensation is much improved. I do notice that on warm days, the sensation is almost non-existent. So I do wonder if that is due to the humidity, or the temperature of the liquid.

I really don't get bloodshot though, and the discomfort for me is just the annoying cold sensation- not irritation. What diameter and type are your lenses? Sometimes mini-sclerals (under 18mm) don't cover quite enough surface area I think. What are you using to fill them? Do you use drops also, and what type?

Comment

I got my lowers plugged this morning. Im not sure how much it is going to help. I feel a little difference but not much. Like you I have good tear production when I yawn. I wish it was that way all the time. I have Dr. G lenses and don't want to give up on the lenses. Im +8.00 without them and 20/15 with them. I may have to get the uppers plugged also. Ill give it a few days to see how it goes.

Comment

Working...
        X