X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Punctual Plugs

Hey,

I got collagen plugs about a week or so ago that dissolve in a few days. I did get some relief so I'll be going back for longer term plugs. The doctor mentioned she doesn't do smart plugs so I was wondering what type of plugs work best for everyone. I know everyone is different so what works best for one may not work for another.

Thanks for the input.

P.S. - Don't ever get LASIK

Oh good, finally, hearing about a doctor who doesn't do SmartPlugs. Thank her for me

My advice would be stick with PUNCTAL plugs, not intracanaliculars of any type, because of the relative risks, even though punctal plugs have their own disadvantages. From there on out it's mostly a battle of getting the right fit, and a lot of that is skill of the practitioner in sizing you correctly and having more than one brand available with a variety of sizes. Also ask about their policy about coverage of replacement costs if they fall out.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Petris View Post
      Oh good, finally, hearing about a doctor who doesn't do SmartPlugs. Thank her for me

My advice would be stick with PUNCTAL plugs, not intracanaliculars of any type, because of the relative risks, even though punctal plugs have their own disadvantages. From there on out it's mostly a battle of getting the right fit, and a lot of that is skill of the practitioner in sizing you correctly and having more than one brand available with a variety of sizes. Also ask about their policy about coverage of replacement costs if they fall out.
      Thanks Rebecca! I go to have them put into tomorrow afternoon so I'll let you know how it goes. I think my insurance covers it because all I owed on the last visit for the temporary plugs was my copay. She said insurance won't cover the more permanent plugs unless we wait 2 weeks so I'm guessing they're covered, but I'll ask. Strangely enough, the past 4 or 5 days I've felt like things have improved a little. I've noticed when I wake in the morning my eyes aren't extremely dry and I don't worry about having that extreme burning if I keep my eyes open too long while I wake. I don't know how to explain it but every morning I'd have to slowly adjust to keeping my eye open. I can also cry now without having that extreme burning sensation. My nights are still pretty crappy. but I hope things continue to improve once I get the plugs.

Comment

So I got the plugs put in yesterday. The doctor said they were dissolvable collagen ones like the last time, but will last 3 months instead of 2-5 days. I told her they felt good right away, but shortly thereafter they weren't. I can feel them and it burns. I don't have any redness, but it's very uncomfortable. I wanted her to put in silicone ones, but she said there could be complications and prefers the collagen ones.

I don't know what to do. Should I just wait it out and maybe the discomfort will go away? This didn't happen to me last time. Everything was fine then. I asked her to check the fit and she said it was perfect. She's going to think I'm crazy if I ask her to take them out because I told her they were fine after she put them in. Maybe I can go to a different doctor to get them out. I hope it's not hard to get out. I can actually see them in there this time. They look like little black dots over the punctal hole. I wasn't able to see them last time. Maybe the fit isn't good? Would a different plug help? Maybe it will get better if I wait it out, but this really sucks.

Comment

The Extended Duration plugs are a different material than collagen. They are the same synthetic material that is used to make dissolvable sutures. They should not cause an adverse(allergic) reaction.

They should not be visible. Sometimes the doctor can push them back down to seer them properly. If not they can sometimes take a scissor and cut them flush to the punctual ring.

Comment

Originally posted by indrep View Post
            The Extended Duration plugs are a different material than collagen. They are the same synthetic material that is used to make dissolvable sutures. They should not cause an adverse(allergic) reaction.

They should not be visible. Sometimes the doctor can push them back down to seer them properly. If not they can sometimes take a scissor and cut them flush to the punctual ring.
            Thanks for your reply. I'm seeing a different doctor on Monday to have a look at them. From what I know about the guy he doesn't like the use of plugs, but maybe he'll know enough to see if they're fitting right and can make an adjustment if they're not. On the bright side at least they only last 90 days 90 days of hell I guess.

Comment

Working...
            X