Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FCI painless plugs and dilation -- a plug gone missing in the canaliculus!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FCI painless plugs and dilation -- a plug gone missing in the canaliculus!

Hello,
    This is my first post, though I have been lurking on here for a while. My husband was recently diagnosed with Sjogren's Syndrome, though he's suffered from dry eye for a long time.

Yesterday, we drove for 2 hours from the tiny village we're in to get to an ophthalmologist who was to put plugs in my dearest's eyes. One went in, and the other fell into the canaliculus. The OD had us wait around for two hours to try anaesthetising the eye, in order to attempt to move the plug back up into place at the top of the puncta, but it was gone by the time he got around to trying this. OD said that it would come out his nose, which makes sense, provided it doesn't get stuck somewhere on the way to the nose.

I am concerned on a lot of levels.

One, that he dilated the puncta before inserting the plugs. What I had read about these plugs was that no dilation is required. Back home, after today's catastrophe, I've watched the little training video on the FCI website on how they work. They expand to fit the punctum, soooo if it's been dilated...(but I'm not a ophthalmologist, so what do I know...). If anyone who knows these plugs has any experience to share. I'd be grateful.

Two, should we go back to this guy and get the second plug attempted? He's willing to swallow the cost of re-ordering the second plug. As it happens, the small town we're nearest to finally had an opening with the ophthalmo at the end of the month, and the earliest we could get in to have the R eye plug re-attempted was near the end of August with the original ophthalmo.

I guess it will depend in part on whether the plug in the left eye actually helps. 'Luckily' the left is the worse eye, so if it's going to be noticeably helpful, I guess it will be in that eye. Or is this mis-thinking?

Three. Should I warn my dear heart about anything? I'm afraid of canaliculitis -- and would like to know what it feels like, so I can be cognisant of the symptoms and keep watch for them rather than alarming him in advance. He's got enough worries about his health. I'm hoping no one on here actually has ever experienced it. But if you have, could you chime in?

I guess I'm flinging the post open, hoping someone will have experience they can share which will help.

Many thanks for reading and sharing.
    Tante

Were these the dissolvable temporary plugs?

Comment

Originally posted by indrep View Post
      Were these the dissolvable temporary plugs?
      No, silicone 'permanent' ones.

Comment

Working...
      X