Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temporary Collagen Plugs

Hi all,

I am new to this forum. I feel very lucky to have found this site and to hopefully find something for my dry eye.

I recently started to have terrible dry eyes again. It has gotten to a point where it has became almost unbearable. Yesterday, I received a temporary collagen plug in each lower tear duct. They felt fine yesterday, but today they are a little uncomfortable in the lower corner of the eyes. And the eyes continued to be very dry and unbearable.

Are these plugs usually uncomfortable? And do they help alleviate severe dry eyes? I will see the same eye doctor again this coming Tuesday. Should I request for the temporary collagen plug in the upper tear ducts as well? Are the upper plugs as uncomfortable if even done properly?

Thank you for all your help!

LittleQ

I had a bit of irritation from my temporary collagen plugs at first. What kind do you have? In the tear duct or sitting on top of it like a cap? Are they the 3-day plugs or the 3-6 month plugs? Either way, repositioning should help. I did not notice any significant improvement in my DES after the lower plugs were put in until a couple of weeks or so, and then it was not complete relief. I have not seen complete relief after the uppers either, but it is definitely an improvement. Be sure to keep that follow up appointment on Tuesday and tell your doctor about your discomfort.
    Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

I have the 3 days collagen temporary plugs. They are in the tear duct. I feel irritate and itch around the tear duct. My eyes are still dry. I had the collagen plugs put in once ten years ago by a different doctor. I got some relief. I don’t remember I was feeling irritate and itch. Could this time the plugs were not inserted properly? Maybe I should try a different brand.

Comment

Itching and irritation are not uncommon. It is a healing response. I did not get a good indication of improvement with the 3 day plugs. I had to try the 3-6 month plugs to really see a difference. I have read that some docs don't even bother with the 3-day plugs for that very reason.
        Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

Littleq,
          The 3 day variety of temporary plugs should be inserted below the punctal ring. You should not be able to see it. If you do indeed see something protruding above the punctal ring you should have it removed and another plug inserted.

The 3-day plug lasts only long enough to see if you get relief from an increased amount of tear on your eye. If you have very few tears and an evaporative problem, only having the lowers plugged may not be enough for you to notice any difference.

Comment

indrep,

After 3 days with the collagen plugs, I still have irritation and itch at the eye corner where the plugs are. I see a black dot inside the punctual ring it does not seem to be above the punctual ring. I don’t know why it keeps irritating me. I felt I have more tears on the day that I had the plugs. But then starting the second day, I have irritation and itch around the eye corners and my eyes are much worse. Is possible I have allergy with the plugs?

Comment

It is possible you had an allergic reaction. I think most collagen plugs are made from bovine collagen. Do you have allergies to other bovine products?

Also by the second day the collagen is usually beginning to break down. It is possible that the plug was not completely inserted and caused the irritation on the first day.

Comment

Hi indrep,

Thank you for the information. I went right back to the doctor today. He examined both eyes and did not see anything pertruding out of the tear ducts. He suspected that I may had allergic reaction to the collegan plugs as they were dissolving. Is that likely had happened that caused irritation and itching in corners of the eyes? As mentioned, I had the plugs on Friday. And my eyes felt terrible on Saturday and Sunday. Today, they felt a bit better with mild itching and dryness.

Thank you!

LittleQ

Comment

LittleQ,
                  There are other temporary plugs that are synthetic. However they last 80-100 days and are not so easy to irrigate out. You might try the silicone permanent plugs that can be easily removed.

Comment

Working...
                  X