No announcement yet.

Are 4 plugs healthy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As my grandpa used to say, even a blind squirrel can sometimes find a nut, but you can gather more nuts with your eyes open.
    I never had the good fortune to have a grandpa, but I sure like your grandpa's saying! I also got a big fat kick out of reading this thread. Dry eyed folk are such an enlightened bunch. Where else could you (we) toss about our individual thoughts on "whether to quadra-plug" or not? Even with scientific quotes. I declare we are the smartest! Experience counts!
    Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

One thing I will note: since getting plugged my eyes "feel" less watery in recent weeks -compared to the first few weeks. Tears would feel like they were just rolling off my eyes. My lipid layer has improved considerably (my right eye has returned to "normal" according to the doc) due to lid cleaning and doxy. I think as a result, my eyes don't get as irritated by wind etc and so they do not produce as much reflex tears as much. Whether the improved oily layer is keeping the tear film more stable is my guess.

Comment

I have had all four punctums plugged for over 14 years. I couldn't survive without them, my eyes would be too dry. Having all plugged in combination with keeping my oily glands flowing thru lid scrubs a few times a day keeps me mostly comfortable. I have never had a single problem with infections. My tears are almost always in a little pond on the bottom eyelid and for me, that is what feels most comfortable. I think the infection aspect has more to do with keeping the oily glands clean than having anything to do with how many plugs you have.

Comment

Hi everyone,

just wanted to let you know that I've had upper puncta plugged as well with the Smartplugs. Insertion was extremely quick and easy. I have not even remote signs of epiphora...I am evaluating them, had it done a couple of days ago. I'll post again to let you know whether they work well or not (but for the time being, they feel fine)

Comment

I think the plugs work so differently for each of us.
            I have lower plugs only and my dr doesn't want to plug the upper lids b/c he thinks it'll make the inflamation worse.
            But if I end up doing it I'll only go for plugs, trying temporary ones first.
            Never cauterization b/c that's irreversible.
            Dr eyes caused by long term contact lens wear

Comment

I have had four plugs for almost a year now and overtearing is a problem but it's better than the alternative which is dry eyes. I am thinking about getting the bottom two cauterized and removing the top two because cauterization is supposed to be a bit more effective than plugs and that could give me the balance I need. I am also doing something else new but I don't want to say what it is until I see if it has any benefit or not.

Comment

Danny before cauterizing the bottom puncta consider Flow Controller plugs. They block some of the tear not all. Your doc can get them from EagleVision or FCI.

Comment

Originally posted by indrep
                  Danny before cauterizing the bottom puncta consider Flow Controller plugs. They block some of the tear not all. Your doc can get them from EagleVision or FCI.
                  Indrep, I have to flow controllers in but am interested to know how they work? You seem to know a lot about plugs so I'm wondering if you know and can explain it to me? How do they decrease the amount of tears in your eye and where do the excess tears go?

Comment

Danny
                    The Flow Controller plug has an open cylinder through the enitre plug. It has been some time since my affiliation with that comapny but I think they claimed it reduced the amount of tear leaving through the puncta by 40-60%. So the FC plug is like having a half plug inserted.

They way it works is instead of your tears draining through your .6mm puncta the tears are having to drain through a .3mm cylinder in the plug.

I hope this helps and good luck.

Comment

Working...
                    X