Risks of plugs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Risks of plugs?

I am sorry if this was talked about before but what are the risks of plugs? I am considering having them but want to know the dangers and risks. Are the risks for temporary plugs different than permanent plugs? Thank you very much.

Much would depend on the type of plug. The risks would be over occlusion, under occlusion, the plug falling out, the plug migrating into the lacrimal system, plug irritation (itching, tearing, abrasion), infection and puctal laceration/tear. When I got my plugs, I had to sign a consent form that explained all of the risks, benefits and alternatives. In addition, my doc discussed all of this with with me. Please do the same with your doctor.
    Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

thanks kitty! were they worth it for you?

Comment

CTS, you are more than welcome. Were they worth it? Probably. My DES varies so much from day to day that it is hard to know for sure. I can say I feel better this January than I did last January when I was first diagnosed. Chalk it up to management of my DES, plugs or a combo, I am not complaining! I did have to have one plug removed due to irritation. I'm sorry I don't have quads anymore, but I will be satisfied with triplets for the time being! Good luck to you.
        Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

Thanks Kitty! I appreciate you sharing your experience. Is there a website that has a link to the risks that you know of?

Comment

I would suggest going to the web sites for the individual brand names of plugs. I have the Herrick plugs, by Lacrimedics. Their website has a link for physicians. In that are practice tools that include consent forms, which clearly identify the risks. Note that these are intracanalicular plugs rather than the surface style, and I believe that there are more risks associated with those because of the potential for them to get lost in the lacrimal system. Just my opinion. Lacrimedics

Comment

CTS,

You might want to first try the silicon kind that have the cap on them. It is possible that they will cause irritation by scratching your eyes (atleast that is what happened to me), but they do work for many people, and there is less chance of these plugs migrating into the lacrimal system since they are made to stay on top of the punctum. As for the intracanalicular kind, if you try those you might want to try the dissolvable ones first. I believe there is less chance of risk with those, since the material they are made of is safer. They have a new plug out called the Oasis Formfit, which is an intracanalicular plug that is supposed to be permanent but at the same time safer, since it is made of a Hydrogel material. Ofcourse you should discuss this all with your doctor, this is just all my opinion. I do know one member on this site who has serious complications from a Smart Plug. It must have somehow damaged her lacrimal system because she has alot of pain now. So, although I'm sure the risks are low, they should be taken seriously, and you might want to try the more cautious plug options first. My eye doctor is pretty conservative and does not even do permanent intracanalicular plugs due the possible complications. Good luck, and I hope that you find the right plugs for you!!

-Shells
              Last edited by shells; 19-Jan-2007, 13:35.

Comment

Originally posted by kitty
                I would suggest going to the web sites for the individual brand names of plugs.
                You can find these links on the plugs page in our dry eye reference section.

I would tend to echo a lot of what Shells has said. Relative risks are increased when intracanalicular vs. punctal, and with silicone or other durable materials versus gel-type materials.
                Rebecca Petris
                The Dry Eye Foundation
                dryeyefoundation.org
                800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
                X