Opinions on getting eyelids plugged

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on getting eyelids plugged

Last week, at my opthomologist, they did the temporary plug of the glands in my eyes (Sorry, don't know all the technical terms). Anyway, it helped me out a lot. My eyes were feeling pretty good and started getting dry and itchy after the temporary plugs filtered away. Now, the docotr wants to do permanent plugs. Anyone have any experience with this, any praises or warnings?

Hi shanklyx and welcome to Dry Eye Talk! We have a forum for sharing opinions and experiences with punctal plugs that you might want to take a look at. Lots of experiences to read: http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/forumdisplay.php?f=15
    Cindy

"People may not always remember exactly what you said or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel." ~ Unknown

Comment

Plugs are not permanent (cauterization is permanent). I am cauterized in one eye and have two plugs in the other and I would be in terrible, terrible pain without them.

Each person's experience is different. Some people have them in uppers and lowers, or just lowers. I have internal plugs called Herricks which I like.

You could try regular plugs and if you have too many tears, you can have them removed.

Chris

Comment

the temporary plugs that you had inserted would probably have been disolvable ones. The next step would be to have silicone plugs inserted. There are two types ones which protrude above the lids, they are shaped like nails ( T ). These are not permenant and can be removed at any time. The other type go right in and are shaped like rods ( / ). The problem I had with these ones is that they can gradually slip further and further down over time, reducing there effectiveness. Theres no way of telling if there still in there or not unless the eye doc stics a syringe into the tear drain and squirts saline solution down. If you feel it going down the back of your throat the plugs are not there. I had terrible trouble when I wanted to get mine removed. The first doctor i saw could only get one out by syringing it through and charged me $300 for the pleasure. I had to go to another doc to get the other one syringed out. Nightmare. Compare this to the plugs which protrude. When I decided to try Restasis I removed them myself easily using tweezers. Some people find that the bits that protrude can irritate there eyes but some don't. good luck

Comment

6 month disposable plugs

There are also some new plugs that last 6 or 9 months before dissolving. I think those would be something to look into, also. I can't remember the name of them, but if you do a search on plugs in this site, you should find the information somewhere.

Comment

Working...
          X