anyone have the flow control plugs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone have the flow control plugs?

I finally got the upper plugs put in a few days ago. My eyes are feeling better. Have some tearing and need to dab more times a day than I would like. I was wondering if anyone has the flow control plugs and if they feel they are doing a good job of giving them more tears than just having two plugs but not too many tears as with 4.
    I was going to present this to my doctor next week but wanted to know first if it was a decent option. I am wondering why they aren't used more as a lot of people seem to have the overflow thing with 4 plugs. My doctor isn't familiar with them but gets hsi plugs from the company who makes them. If anybody has info about this I would love to hear it! Still I would rather have to dab than the major discomfort I was having. My eyes are feeling great. Just worried about irritating under my eyes with the tears and wiping too much.
    Heather

Hi Heather,

I have lower plugs and upper flow controller plugs, and it has helped me quite a bit. I was blotting a lot more than I would have liked with four regular plugs, and it was really interfering with everyday activities. I wear glasses, so it was kind of challenging to blot my eyes every ten minutes or so without taking my glasses off. Although the flow controller plugs have been very helpful, I still find that my eyes are very wet (when I am outside on a nice day) and dry (when I am at my office in the winter). I guess what I am trying to say is that the plugs have been helpful, but nothing will ever take the place of having a normal tearflow. I just want to give you realistic expectations.

I would definitely give your four plugs a good trial run before trying flow controller plugs because sometimes your tears can regulate themselves after some time. I would wait at LEAST six weeks before trying flow controller plugs. Another thought is to try a flow controller plug in one eye so that you can see which plug you like better before having the doctor put flow controller plugs in both eyes. It's expensive to put plugs in and take them out.

I hope that helps!

-Julie

Comment

thanks Julie

Sorry I took so long to respond to this. We are planning a vacation and it has been hectic. I will try to keep some patience like you suggested. I have actually noticed this week the tears overflow increasing. The blotting is not as much of a problem for me but sometimes my eyes will get a large amount of tears and they just sit in my eye. I feel like I am under water! I am trying to adjust and find what works for me to get to a point where I can manage it. Unfortunately about an hour ago I lost one of my lower plugs. I am thinking rather than panic I will see how it feels with just the upper this weekend then go from there on Monday. I am just looking for the next step if this overflow is too much to stand.
      Thanks for the advice. I will hang in there for now.
      Heather

Comment

Originally posted by heather g
        Sorry I took so long to respond to this. We are planning a vacation and it has been hectic. I will try to keep some patience like you suggested. I have actually noticed this week the tears overflow increasing. The blotting is not as much of a problem for me but sometimes my eyes will get a large amount of tears and they just sit in my eye. I feel like I am under water! I am trying to adjust and find what works for me to get to a point where I can manage it. Unfortunately about an hour ago I lost one of my lower plugs. I am thinking rather than panic I will see how it feels with just the upper this weekend then go from there on Monday. I am just looking for the next step if this overflow is too much to stand.
        Thanks for the advice. I will hang in there for now.
        Heather
        Hey Heather! I'm in exactly the same boat as you. Maybe, we can help each other with what we learn. I haven't got my flow control plugs in yet but am considering them. I'll let you know when I get them.

Comment

sorry it took me so long!

Hi Danny. I just saw the post. I went to the my doctor today and was really happy with the way the visit went. First I took info I had printed out on the flow control plugs and other things I am interested in or trying now. He was very interested in all of it and said he is ready to try the different plugs whenever I am ready. ( and they can be ordered) We decided to put my lower back in as too many tears are better than not enough. Then we made a plan to give it until my next visit in mid April to move forward or change anything I am doing. Which sounds good to me. At least I am having zero eye pain with the 4 plugs. His fear is I will not have enough tears with the other plugs. (mine too)
          Let me know what happens with you. I hope you find something that helps. The good thing is warmer rainy humid spring weather is almost here.
          Heather

Comment

Just got my flow controllers today. I had an appointment for 2:30 and when I got there, they didn't know anything about it so I freaked out a bit and asked to see the manager. The doctor then agreed to see me and when I asked about the flow controllers, she had never heard of them. I promptly told her to refer me out and then lo and behold, she found out that they did have them when she checked. Then, she wanted to put three in but I told her to take out the bottom left and replace it with an oasis normal one on top and after a bit of fuss she agreed..

End result is that I now have two flow controllers from EagleVision on the bottom and two oasis ones on the top. I'll keep you posted on how I get on.

Danny

Comment

Originally posted by Danny_
              End result is that I now have two flow controllers from EagleVision on the bottom and two oasis ones on the top. I'll keep you posted on how I get on.
              Sounds like a very interesting - and sensible - approach. I'll be interested to hear how things progress for you.
              Rebecca Petris
              The Dry Eye Foundation
              dryeyefoundation.org
              800-484-0244

Comment

Danny. Just got home from vacation and read the posts. So how do you like the mix of regular plugs and flow control ? Is it better? Less overflow?
                I am looking forward to hearing about your experience. I think I am going to try them myself. I just tear too much with the 4.
                Heather

Comment

Originally posted by heather g
                  Danny. Just got home from vacation and read the posts. So how do you like the mix of regular plugs and flow control ? Is it better? Less overflow?
                  I am looking forward to hearing about your experience. I think I am going to try them myself. I just tear too much with the 4.
                  Heather
                  Heather, too early to tell yet but I do think they are making a difference, just not enough of a one. I still tear a lot on a cold day outside but I definitely think there could be something to these. The next step for me will be to go to four flow control plugs if this doesn't work. I have two in at the moment.

Comment

Hi,

I have upper smartplugs (full plugs) and lower flow controllers. I previously had full lowers in and no uppers.

After a false start (I thought it was better!)........I can report that my eyes are just as dry as ever. I'm going back to get the flow controllers removed and full plugs fitted.

Ian.

Comment

Ian,
                      Sorry to hear that you are still dry. Have you had four plugs (other than the flow controller) before this? I am asking because next week I am going to have one of my lower plugs switched out for a flow controller plug. I am a little nervous because even though I tear a lot with these I fear I will be too dry with the flow controller. That is my doctor's fear as well. So I guess with one eye done I will get to compare! For sure I will take too many tears than too dry!
                      Well good luck to you and I hope you find the combination that makes you most comfortable.
                      Heather

Comment

Hi,

I just got the flow controllers removed this morning and full plugs fitted. So, now I'm fully plugged. I'm still a bit dry (indoors) and still taking eye drops. There is no sign of over-tearing.....but I've yet to be out on a cold day. Summer is on it's way here in Scotland - a mild winter to the rest of you....
                        The difference I noticed going fully plugged is that when I blink I feel coolness.....a sign I think that there's some tears there.

I thought I'd over tear to tell you the truth, but I haven't....so maybe there's not soooo much of a difference between flows and fulls.

Good luck!

Ian.

Comment

Working...
                        X