Stuff I learned while I had the overflow problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuff I learned while I had the overflow problem

I had four plugs in for almost a year but had bad overflow because of this. However, I did get to see what made me tear more and less. Naturally, because dry eye syndrome is different for everyone, this may or may not pertain to you but I thought I'd share what I had learned anyway.

The following are the things that tended to make my eyes tear more:

1. Washing your lids. I think that this is most important. My eyes stopped the tears streaming down my face to some extend by creating a kind of crust around the eye and below it which reduced my tears. It also made my eyes stick together when I woke up in the morning. A doc recently told me that it was also putting me at risk of a bacterial infection in my eye.
    2. Cold wind - I noticed that when my eyes were cold, there were way more tears. That got me thinking that maybe dry eye has a lot to do with the temperature in your eye and the people that have it may lack some enzyme that helps control this temperature well. If your eye is too hot all the time, then the tears will evaporate.
    3. Pain - Despite the dry eye problem being solved, I continued to have eye pain, albeit to a much less degree. The reason. I think, is that I've had the wrong prescription for my glasses for years. I recently went to another doc and she told me that one of my eyes was far sighted and the other slightly near sighted so they were working against each other. I now have distance glasses and reading glasses with different degrees of strength for each eye. Previous, docs would just give me the same. So far, I think this is working really well for me but I will have to wait and see.
    Anyway, the point is that one problem I believe was feeding off the other problem. When you are in pain, it increases the temperature in your eyes and therefore exacerbates the dry eyes. Just my two cents.
    4. If you close your eyes and trace a circle, stretching the eyes seems to create more tears (but I'm not sure about this one)
    5. Sitting in front of a computer for long periods of the day makes your eyes very dry (no surprise there)

I think #2 and #5 could be the effect of reflex tearing, just my 2 cents.
    Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

Originally posted by kitty
      I think #2 and #5 could be the effect of reflex tearing, just my 2 cents.
      2 could be partially reflex tearing but I noticed far more tears on a cold day than a hot day. I've been four plugged for about 9 months now so I've had them in both in the winter and the summer and observed the effect. 5, you might have misunderstood what I was saying. Even with the four plugs in, if I sat in front of a computer for 4 hours or so, they began to feel dry. Then again, I did have that crust that was stopping the tears so that might not be accurate either.

Edit: Naturally, this is just stuff that applies to me. Don't know how much it will apply to anyone else. There are lots of different types of this disease. But, I did notice that when I put either systane or genteel gel in my eye, it's initially quite cold so maybe having your eyes cold does encourage the production of more tears?

Comment

I got 4 plugs too

Hi,
        I am George from AL. I got 2 more plugs(flow controllers) 5 days ago and my eyes are watery. I also became much more light sensitive .
        I am just wondering if you have problems with focusing due to watery eyes?
        I also feel that my eyes are cold..
        Good thing is that I don't need any drops.
        Have you tried Restatis? I am trying to figure out if having only 2 plugs and using Restatis is better and safer than having 4 plugs...
        Thanks,

George

Comment

Geo,and anyone else: something to think about.....and I'm not trying to make up your miind for you, because I've lost my ability to tell the future!

1. You may not know if Restasis is working for you for 6 months. Some have a response sooner, but often it takes that long to know if it is going to work. Six months can be a long wait with dry eyes, but something you must "endure' to know about the Restasis.

2. The cost of Restasis is something like $115 for a month's supply if you have no insurance coverage. If you have prescription coverage, your cost will vary. So in a dollars and cents matter, with no insurance, a person could be looking at $600+ over the course of 6 months to see if Restasis is helping. If the Restasis does help, then you have the ongoing cost, whether 100% or a portion.

3. If you decided after some time that Restasis with 2 plugs wasn't doing the trick for you, then you might have to reconsider having the two plugs replaced again. This, too, can be expensive.

4. Often it takes weeks before your eyes settle into a new situation with more (or less) plugs. Trust me on this one. Five days is not a true picture of what may be the case next month. I just hate to see people making quick judgments and spending money they may not have to and use some patience and time instead. Good luck and let us know.
          Lucy

PS. Geo, I see you don't need drops, so this is for anyone else.
          Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Hi Lucy,
            Thank you so much for your answer.
            I'll stay with 4 plugs for a while for sure. Just I don't know which way is more safe down the road....Restatis or 4 plugs...
            Best of all!

George

Comment

Working...
            X