epiphora

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• epiphora

Can anyone help me out with advice. I have two permanently cauterized tear ducts on the bottom, and have two plugs on the top tear ducts. My vision is much improved, but I tear all over the place. I can't even read without looking straight ahead. Has anyone else had this problem? I use Restasis, but haven't noticed much difference. I don't use tears anymore, as I seem to have more than enough. I do take Premarin. I'm thinking about permanent occlusion as the plugs keep coming out, but I can't stand the constant overflow of tears. What do you think?
    Last edited by emh1031; 20-Mar-2007, 18:42. Reason: confusing

Have you tried flow controller plugs in the uppers? Partial occlusion seems to work well for some people.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Hello emh1031,

I can tell you I have the overflow very regularly in my left eye due to obstructed lacrimal duct and it is a pain in the you know what. It affects reading, and the skin surrounding the eye as well. I'm always putting eye cream in the overflow areas to try to protect my skin. I find that when the tears overflow from the inner part of my eye versus the outer part of my eye and the timing is right, I can stick out my tongue and catch the tears. Maybe this will help put some moisture back into my body. Well, you gotta laugh, right? The flow controller plugs that Rebecca is mentioning certainly sound like a good idea for those who can use them... You're not alone...

Comment

Originally posted by emh1031
        Can anyone help me out with advice. I have two permanently cauterized tear ducts on the bottom, and have two plugs on the top tear ducts. My vision is much improved, but I tear all over the place. I can't even read without looking straight ahead. Has anyone else had this problem? I use Restasis, but haven't noticed much difference. I don't use tears anymore, as I seem to have more than enough. I do take Premarin. I'm thinking about permanent occlusion as the plugs keep coming out, but I can't stand the constant overflow of tears. What do you think?
        Hey ehm,

As Judy said, you aren't alone. I have the same problem of too many tears with four plugs in and two little with two. I have just recently put two flow controller plugs into the bottom ones. The top two are plugged normally with oasis silicon regular plugs. So far (although, it has only been two days), unfortunately, the difference has been minimal but it's too early to pass judgement yet.

I also had a plug that kept falling out which was a pain but they kept putting a bigger one in until this stopped happening. Permanent occlusion is a big step and you should think carefully about it as you don't want to be permanently over-tearing. Hell, my doctors won't even let me cauterize the bottom two because they say that the eyes can change over time.

Also, if you are over tearing, then why don't you stop with the restasis? Or alternatively, you could just go with no plugs given that you have cauterized two punctua already (but I assume, you've tried that already and it leaves your eyes too dry?).

Take care of yourself

Danny

Comment

difference between cauterization and plug for amaunt of tears?

Hoi,

Ik have four intracanniculair plugs. Right eye is comfortable now, left eye is still dry. If I would cauterize one punctum on the left eye would that make a difference for me? Is cauterization sometimes more effective?

Has anyone been in this situation, first two plugs in one eye, still dry, then cauterization of one punctum (or 2) and then comfortably?

Sabine(englisch is not my motherlanguage)

Comment

Working...
          X