No announcement yet.

Temporary plugs problem-pushed too far?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temporary plugs problem-pushed too far?

Had temporary plugs inserted today. Soon after I left the hospital one fell out. I went back and had it reinserted. Now I think I may have pushed it in, snapped it off?? I can feel something different and when I compare the two ducts, one looks "closed" and one looks to have a hole where I am thinking the plug should be. Is it possible to push the plugs too far down? Snap them off?
    If I go to my doctor will he be able to tell by looking if it is still in place, moved, pushed in?
    Last edited by namoomoo; 26-Jun-2007, 11:03. Reason: incomplete

Your doctor should be able to tell where the plugs are. The same thing happened to me with one falling out. You might actually have lost another one without realizing it.
    Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

There are several types of temporary plugs. The collagen ones last 3-5 days and then there are versions of Extended Duration plugs that claim durations of 3-6 months, most dissolve around 90 days.

Typically the temporary ones that can extrude are the Extended Duration. It takes them longer to absorb moisture and therefore longer to expand enough to hold themselves in place. this usually happens within the first 10 minutes.

Both types of temporary plugs are short and should not snap off. When inserted they are below the punctal ring and should not be visible. In theory they could be inserted too far but is unlikely. It is unlikely the doc will be able to see these plugs if they are the collagen. The Extended Duration ones are blue and it is possible with transillumination to see them in place.

Comment

Working...
      X