Do plugs help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do plugs help?

I only have a schirmer of 2 but no doctor wants to put plug in my eyes. They say my eye looks wet and are always shocked to see that Im only a two. Is it possible that the numbing drops just numb my eye too much? Would plugs help?

Thank you!

Originally posted by erinlins
    I only have a schirmer of 2 but no doctor wants to put plug in my eyes. They say my eye looks wet and are always shocked to see that Im only a two. Is it possible that the numbing drops just numb my eye too much? Would plugs help?

Thank you!
    Need more info.... but IF you have an anaesthetized schirmer of 2, AND your eyes appear wet on examination, perhaps they are just seeing reflex tearing?

Schirmer on an unanaesthetized cornea will include reflex tears, and schirmer on an anaesthetized cornea will measure only basal tears. I don't think you can be "too numb" since the whole idea of the numbness is to exclude the reflex tears. Furthermore, schirmer is notorious for false negatives but not false positives.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Wet?

What do you mean your eye "looks" wet? Is this just appearance or is it with dye and slit lamp?
      I think plugs should be a primary treatment for chronic dry eyes - it's just a pity they are fairly expensive even for temporary ones. Apart from cost it is worth it just for trial purposes. Having 2 plugs in the one eye is only for worser patients, though.
      Bruce
      Occupation - Optimistologist

Comment

I'm diagnosed with MGD & blepharitus. Schirmer similar to your's. Lower plug in each eye has helped me.

Comment

erin,
          There are many studies that show plugs help. With a schirmer of 2 you should have some relief with two plugs but you may have to go flow controller in the two other or plugs in all four. If you are apprehensive you might ask your doctor for the extended duration plugs (last 90 days) and see how that feels.

Comment

Plugs really do help a lot of people and can make your dry eyes tolerable. You really need to find a new doctor.

Comment

Working...
            X