Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Half of a plug is out. I don't know what to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Half of a plug is out. I don't know what to do?

Hi,
    I just realized that a lower plug is coming out and touching sclera...painful
    I was doing a more aggressive massage because of capped meibomian glands...as my OD recommended ...
    Can this plug be reused ? Or needs to be replaced?
    Thank you.

All best!!

George

George, you say "half a plug out." Do you mean it is halfway out of the punctae? Or is it broken off? Maybe you can't tell.

Only your doctor would know if it can be re-used or must be replaced. It might be either. Since it's scraping your sclera you need to see him asap. I have had simular situations and have succeeded in pushing the plug back into position and in one case removed the plug using sterilized tweezers.

I hope you get to your doc right away.
    Lucy
    Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

I would suspect it will need to be replaced. Please call your doc first thing tomorrow.
      Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

My guess is it'll be on the tip of your nose by morning. That's what happened to me.
        Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

Hi

Hi,
          I've once pushed it back to the position with something sharp.

Comment

George, you might could push it back into place. But you would want to be sure you have steady hands and don't use something sharp.

If you return to your doc it will be up to his discretion about replacing it or repositioning it.

Comment

Hi,

Thank you so much for your answers.
              The plug is halfway out of the punctae. I'll see a doctor in 2hrs.
              It's not very painful, only at times... Both eyes are tearing a lot now after a month of dryness. I don't know what might be:
              1. doxy
              2. MG's expression+lid scrub
              3. Reflex tears due to plug touching sclera

Thank you all again!!

George

Comment

Back from doctor

Hi,
                This was really painful. The doc(MD) used a cotton swab to reinsert the plug at first. It was pain free. This type of plug -flow controller can be seen. In addition this doc wanted to press it down so won't be seen. He used a forceps for about 4-5 min and he could not do it. It was very painful. I stopped him and explained that the plug should be seen and has a shoulder. He did not know about flow controllers. He said that all punctal plugs he uses are full plugs.
                I will never go back again.......

All best !

George

Comment

Even full pugs should not be forced below the punctal ring.

Comment

Working...
                  X