Post-Cautery Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post-Cautery Questions

I had cautery done on my lower puncta three days ago, after having no success with plugs(I felt like they helped but they either popped out in a day or two or would rub against my eye and have to be removed). So far I'm skeptical about the benefit of the procedure. First of all, how should the puncta look if they've been successfully closed? Looking at the right one in the mirror, I can still clearly see the red hole in the middle of the white-ish burn mark - does this mean it didn't close properly, or is it normal for the puncta to still be visible after cautery?

Despite that, my right eye is doing pretty well, but for the past day or two my left one has been itching almost constantly on the inside portion, which was always the reddest part. I'm trying not to scratch it much but it's driving me nuts. Is this a normal reaction to the cautery or is there something else I should be worrying about here?

Hi Zek,

Sorry - just saw this. How are you doing now - any change? Any other cautery patients have any useful info to share...?
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

I'm going to guess the tissue is healing and you ahve some mild irritation from that.

Comment

Opens sometimes

Sometimes it takes more than one application of the heat to permanently close the hole up. Have you gone back for a recheck yet? My left eye had to be sealed twice in two different visits. The right one only took one application of the heat.

Billye

Comment

Working...
        X