Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plugs cost?!

Hi,
    i'm gonna put 4 plugs in october.....can somebody tell me the cost please?? also, when i have them, do i have to use artificial tears again?? thanks

Francesco,
    The national average reimbursement by medicare for insertion of a punctal plug is about $180. If a second one is inserted in another punctum on the same visit it is reimbursed half or $90. So if you are having 4 plugs inserted on same day the Cost would be $180+$90+$90+$90=$450. Now your doc could charge more and your insurance could pay more if you are privately insured.

Comment

It definitely can cost a lot more with private insurance, not necessarily out of your pocket or the what the doctor gets reimbursed, just the total charge. If you do some searches here, perhaps "cost", or find posts by me and look through them you will find actual charges. I just don't have time right now to dig up that old info.
      Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

Hi Francesco,

Here in US I paid 700$ for the lower plugs and 650$ for the upper plugs.
        These are the amounts that my insurance was billed. I ended up paying about 50% of my bills because of my insurance.
        But don't worry, in Italy you'll be paying much less than here. The cost of only plugs on my bills was exactly what indrep told you....but you know, somebody has to make some money out of a couple of dollars cost of manufacturing plugs.
        Please don't forget to post how much you actually paid in Italy.

About the artificial tears: try lower plugs first for a while. Then you can go for upper ones. Depends!!!
        Take care !!

George

PS How was you Dr. Latkany visit?

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeT
          Hi Francesco,

Here in US I paid 700$ for the lower plugs and 650$ for the upper plugs.
          These are the amounts that my insurance was billed. I ended up paying about 50% of my bills because of my insurance.
          But don't worry, in Italy you'll be paying much less than here. The cost of only plugs on my bills was exactly what indrep told you....but you know, somebody has to make some money out of a couple of dollars cost of manufacturing plugs.
          Please don't forget to post how much you actually paid in Italy.

About the artificial tears: try lower plugs first for a while. Then you can go for upper ones. Depends!!!
          Take care !!

George

PS How was you Dr. Latkany visit?

Hi GeorgeT,
          thanks for your info....unfortunately i only trust Latkany now after my eye doctors experience here in Italy so i will pay the plugs...all by myself (i'm 23 so my father will help me paying ) ...my visit with Latkany was great..i went there almost sure that i had Rosacea but he told me that i "only" have a possible allergy (i will have a prick test this week) and that i don't close my eyes at night so i'm using tranquileyes a bit modified to close them. he talked me about plugs (if i remember he talked about 4 plugs not 2)..so if i don't have an allergy i will get plugs in november since i'll be in Boston in that period (i'm moving there for College ) .....anyway thanks a lot !! i'll let you guys know about plugs...i'm shure he will do a great job choosing the best for me
          Francesco

p.s. also it might be funny but here in Italy 90% of eye doctors don't know what plugs are
          Last edited by Francesco; 27-Aug-2007, 00:23.

Comment

Working...
          X