Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Over-watering, can temporary plugs be removed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Over-watering, can temporary plugs be removed?

I have a long history of dry eyes, like most everyone here. I currently have 2 permanent plugs in my right eye (still not giving me great relief), and I had one permanent plug in my left eye (lower). I recently went to a new eye Dr. to discuss getting a permanent plug in the left eye (upper, the only one that wasn't plugged yet) since it has recently been very dry with only one plug. She suggested I get a 3-5 day temporary plug first (great idea in theory). After she put it in, she realized she had accidently put in a 3-6 month temporary plug!! I didn't freak out, cause I knew it would eventually dissolve, but now its been 5 days and my eyes are overwatering like crazy. The corner of my eye is so red from me dabbing constantly. Can this long term temporary plug be removed?? I don't want to go back to the original dr. (didn't really like her anyway), so I was considering seeing a different eye dr. to discuss removing the temporary plug...

How would a dr. remove a long term temporary plug?? Is it expensive?? (I am a self pay patient and all these dr. visits and plugs are getting very expensive, but I am willing to do anything to get healthy eyes again!!)

To my understanding . . .

My doctor told me it could be taken out very quickly and easily. I, unfortunately, do not know the price tag.

Comment

I had a permanent plug removed. Insurance paid for it other than my co-pay, but I dont think the total charge was much over $125.
      Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

After she put it in, she realized she had accidently put in a 3-6 month temporary plug!! I didn't freak out, cause I knew it would eventually dissolve, but now its been 5 days and my eyes are overwatering like crazy. The corner of my eye is so red from me dabbing constantly. Can this long term temporary plug be removed?? I don't want to go back to the original dr. (didn't really like her anyway), so I was considering seeing a different eye dr. to discuss removing the temporary plug...
        kdennison, you might consider going back to the doctor who inserted the plug and maybe because of her "error" there won't be a charge. You could likely find out by calling her/his office and asking. Tell them you are "broke" and "in agony."

PS. I do not recommend this, but I have pulled my own plug before--the top was within easy grip of sterilized tweezers.

Good luck. Lucy
        Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Plug removal problems are usually associated with silicone (or other durable material) intracanalicular plugs.

If you have 3-6 month plugs, they are intracanalicular but NOT durable material. This means that the risks associated with attempting to remove them with irrigation are probably negligible, as I understand it. IndRep is the best person to answer questions like this though. They are probably either hydrogel or synthetic collagen.

If it were me, I'd give it at least a week more just in case the watering lessens, and then ask to have it irrigated out. I would go to the original doctor and I certainly agree about expecting them to absorb the cost of removal since it was their error.

For more about plugs, click here
          Rebecca Petris
          The Dry Eye Foundation
          dryeyefoundation.org
          800-484-0244

Comment

Thank you to everyone for their advice. I was considering going back to the original eye dr. and have her irrigate it out, however, when I called her office to discuss this with her, she said "she has never irrigated a plug out, but if I wanted to come in and she could experiment, that would be fine" That obviously did not put me at ease!! She even mentioned that she didn't think she even had the equipment to do an irrigation!!

At this point, I think I would feel much better paying for the procedure and going to a dr. I feel more comfortable with!!

Comment

Originally posted by kdennison
              "she has never irrigated a plug out, but if I wanted to come in and she could experiment, that would be fine" That obviously did not put me at ease!! She even mentioned that she didn't think she even had the equipment to do an irrigation!!
              Certainly puts things in a different light! I agree - better someone who has experience. And without wanting to be too critical, I should think a doctor ought to have training in removing plugs before they start inserting plugs.
              Rebecca Petris
              The Dry Eye Foundation
              dryeyefoundation.org
              800-484-0244

Comment

Kdennison,
                I would probably wait at lest 10 days before going back. For two reasons, Sometimes after being plugged you can get a reflex tearing, some studies have shown up to two weeks. the second reason is the extended duration intracanalicular plug is a synthetic material and is not very flexible or soft. I know you are uncomfortable but I believe I would tolerate this plug for 60-90 days rather than go the risks of irrigation on a product to be quiet honest I have never heard of one being irrigated so I can't give you an idea of the risks completeley. But I am going with risk of other intracanlicular plugs that are solid. I would wait.

By the way the more tear that it absorbs the quisker it can dissolve.

Comment

I had a permanent intracanalicular plug irrigated out. It wasnt the most pleasant procedure, but it was not terrible either. I would give it a couple of months. Once the plugs starts to dissolve, you will get more drainage around the plug and the sloshing may no longer be so problematic. If it were me, I would opt for that rather than undergoing a procedure that will not be necessary in a few months.
                  Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

sooooo jealous...

that's what i need, water....

Originally posted by kdennison View Post
                    I have a long history of dry eyes, like most everyone here. I currently have 2 permanent plugs in my right eye (still not giving me great relief), and I had one permanent plug in my left eye (lower). I recently went to a new eye Dr. to discuss getting a permanent plug in the left eye (upper, the only one that wasn't plugged yet) since it has recently been very dry with only one plug. She suggested I get a 3-5 day temporary plug first (great idea in theory). After she put it in, she realized she had accidently put in a 3-6 month temporary plug!! I didn't freak out, cause I knew it would eventually dissolve, but now its been 5 days and my eyes are overwatering like crazy. The corner of my eye is so red from me dabbing constantly. Can this long term temporary plug be removed?? I don't want to go back to the original dr. (didn't really like her anyway), so I was considering seeing a different eye dr. to discuss removing the temporary plug...

How would a dr. remove a long term temporary plug?? Is it expensive?? (I am a self pay patient and all these dr. visits and plugs are getting very expensive, but I am willing to do anything to get healthy eyes again!!)

Comment

Working...
                    X