Plug Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plug Problems

What started out well (getting all puncta plugged) is, after 3 weeks, a failure, I guess. At first my "new" tears were great, but slowly the consistency has gotten thick and more mucousy. Now the inner corners of my eyelids and surrounding skin is a cracked, dry, painful dermatitis mess. I finally called my eye doctor and will go in tomorrow. When I described my troubles, the assistant said the doctor would have to remove the plugs. I wonder if he'll remove all 4 or just the top ones.

Has anybody else had this happen---that the tear quality became so mucous-filled, after getting 4 plugs? I thought I would be able to adjust, or at least get some ointment to heal the skin. I have tried using Lotemax, Blepharide, TheraTears, etc. over the past weeks, and everything just made the problem worse. The inside of my eyes--eyeball--seems OK. Just the frigging lids. SOOO bad.

Calli

Hi,

When I wake every morning my left eye around the eye-lids is all crusty as you describe.......I to am all lugged up in that eye.

However, I feel I have it under control......I use Sterilid every evening and give my eyes a good clean.

I was never like this before I got all plugged up so I put it down to the eye retaining stuff that it would normally drain away and thus continually wash itself. They do say that getting all plugged up can have it's complications.

I'm down to see my eye doc tomorrow.....I figure on getting one of the plugs removed from that eye as it does over-tear a bit.

Ian.

Comment

A new way to use Restasis if you have Plugs

My eyedoctor has dry eyes and 4 plugs also, and said that he noticed the delayed burning from Restasis as soon as he got all 4 plugs. He said there's been no research on this, but he believes that the Restasis stays in the eye too long (because of the plugs) and causes burning and irritation, when otherwise it would be diluted and washed out by tears/ tear ducts.

So--what he recommends is to put the drops in, wait 3 minutes, and then rinse it all out with Unisol saline solution or a lot of TheraTears drops. I'm going to try this. I had been doing OK with Restasis when I had only lower plugs, but couldn't use it after I got the uppers.

Follow up on my Plug Problems: my eyedoctor said my lids are irritated from excess moisture (but not tear overflow) from having all 4 puncta plugged. I am to use petroleum jelly or PM ointment (petroleum jelly + mineral oil) on the skin around the eyelids (not IN the eye) to protect and heal it. Thank goodness it is not infected.

Calli

Comment

Calli,
        I spoke with a doc friend and he said the mucous strands are still a mystery to teh dry eye disease. It seems that some people associate the strands to allergies. In other words they aren't always there and tend to show up when other symptoms of allergy are present. But they are certainly more prevalant in peole with compromised eyes than those without. More research to be performed.

Comment

Indrep,

This is an interesting observation, and probably holds true for me. I have noticed that when I'm going through a flareup of mucous strands, it's usually because I've tried to medicate my eyes with drops or ointments and I've used too much of it or used it too long (my Lotemax and Blepharide, Restasis, and even artificial tears). I don't seem to have any of the usual allergies, like to pollen or mold, for example.

I also get the mucous when I go to a different geographic area, like another state (allergy or sensitivity to a change in plant communities, pollution, humidity levels, I'm thinking). It starts out with general thickening of mucous in the eye overall, and the begins to coalesce into strands. Once I'm in the new place for 2-3 weeks, my eyes settle down, but when I return to my home, my eyes go through the same 2-3 week period of flare-up, mucous, and resolution. I live in a dry, high altitude, (and polluted) area, so almost everywhere else I go to has more humidity and plants. You would thiink my eyes would benefit from higher humidity, but I have never stayed away long enough to notice it.

Calli

Comment

removal permanent silicone plugs?

Dear Indrep,

I have silicone punctual plugs for 2 months and my face & eyes are permanently swollen.
            I really would like to have them removed, however my doctor doen't recommend a surgery.

What's your experience / advise with removal of permanent plugs? What are the risks or possible complications?

What are the other options? My doctor says will only 'dissolve' after years. is that true? really can not live with the idea of having discomfort for years.

Any input is welcome!
            Nathalie (Belgium)

Comment

I am unaware of silicone dissolving.

If these are the Herrick/Lacrimedics silicone plugs then they can be somewhat difficult to remove as they are inserted intracanalicular. If they are the typical silicone plugs that have a small cap you can see on your puncta then they are esy to remove and complications would be considered minimal.

Comment

I have the Herrick/Intracanalicular plugs. I had to have one removed. It was no big deal, just kind of a strange sensation. My doc had no problem removing it. It is billed to insurance as "surgery" but I sure would not call it that as there is no cutting involved. If the plugs are causing you irritation that does not seem to be resolving I would insist on having them removed. If your doc won't do it, find someone who will.
                Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

herrick plugs

I read your post from a while ago.
                  Can I ask you about hte Herrick intracanalicular plugs you have. I have one in the lower lid but still have a lot of dryness symptoms. I understand that they do not give total occlusion. Do you find this. Are they subject to more problems than the other kinds. I am rather worried but could not tolerate the other kind. many thanks

Comment

Working...
                  X