Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ouch - these plugs hurt!

Hello!

I had plugs put in on Tuesday (I believe they are Herrick medium-term dissolvable plugs). I have been running back and forth to the eye doctor on Wednesday and Thursday for "adjustments" as they have been really uncomfortable. I keep having a sensation that they are poking my eye. The right one is finally comfortable, but does ache occasionally and I can feel it if I move my eye just right.

The left eye is driving me crazy with the poking feeling. The eye doctor "adjusted" it slightly yester day (he just pushes it farther into my punctum).

I was so distressed about my discomfort yesterday evening I had a panick attack!! It was horrible. My nerves still feel fried. I think a large contributing factor is that my dry eye symptoms were virtually gone for the first two days of plugs, but then started again yesterday, just not as severe.

My eye doctor also took me off steriod eye drops which I have been on since January 8. He had me go from two drops a day to cold turkey. I am concerned that my "phantom" eye pain will return.

I am looking for some advice - if you were me would you go back into the eye doctor today for more "adjustments" or should I give it some time and see if I just get used to them?

Your input means alot to me! Thanks!!

MyDryEyes

i just can tell you that a panic attack is almost normal when your dealing with such complicated things....feeling that something is rubbing against your eyes is scary
    anyway, good luck

i would give some more time ...at least 2 weeks

Comment

More to add. . .

Well, I have had my plugs in since Tuesday and I must say they are not miracle cure.

Saturday and Sunday they were back to being dry, but I could not feel the plugs.

This morning, I woke up and my tear ducts were aching. The aching has subsided and my eyes don't feel dry, but they are soooooo itchy!! I am assuming this is because the tears are being held in my eye to long.

Does anybody else have the same experience??

Comment

I've had so many plugs i can't count. The very first time I got plugs they were really uncomfortable for a day or two. I think they fell out shortly after. With experience I have found that the plugs have to really fit snuggly to work and to be comfortable. Now when I get a new one, it takes a few hours or maybe one evening of slight uncomfortable and then I'm fine.

This is gross but it's important to make a point. One time I had gotten a new plug and after a few weeks, my eye was still dry. I just knew the plug wasn't snug enough and the tears were still draining down the punctum. The doctor looked at it and said it looked fine. But being a great doctor she said lets do a test. She put some orange dye in that eye and told me to go sit in the waiting room for a half hour. When I came back in, she said blow your nose. Well there it was on the tissue, the orange dye. She then knew the plugs were not snug enough. She put bigger ones in and I had more tears and my eyes were comfortable again.

There is so much to these plugs. They really have to be fitted snuggly. Go back to your doctor and ask him to do this test. They have drops that are orange for something or other they need them for.

Also, if the plug is not snug enough, it causes the problems you are talking about.

Let me know how you do.

Comment

It took me about 3-5 days to feel comfortable after getting my Herricks. The insertion process can cause the punctum to become inflamed/irritated, it just takes some time to settle down. I had intense itching as well for the first few days, then all quieted down. The reason the plugs are not working as well now as they were when they were first put in might be because the swelling from the inflammation/irritation has subsided, so the plugs do not fit as snugly. They were not designed to block 100% of the tear drainage.
          Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

This is gross but it's important to make a point. One time I had gotten a new plug and after a few weeks, my eye was still dry. I just knew the plug wasn't snug enough and the tears were still draining down the punctum. The doctor looked at it and said it looked fine. But being a great doctor she said lets do a test. She put some orange dye in that eye and told me to go sit in the waiting room for a half hour. When I came back in, she said blow your nose. Well there it was on the tissue, the orange dye. She then knew the plugs were not snug enough. She put bigger ones in and I had more tears and my eyes were comfortable again.
            Jade, I was told by an eye doc that this is called "the Jones Test." It was also performed on me to confirm whether I had any leakage from my plugs and cauterization. I did not have any breakthrough. In my opinion, it would take an extraordinary doctor who would take the time with this. The doc who did the test on me was one I traveled far to see.

Lucy
            Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Wow Lucy, I never knew it had a name. I TOTALLY agree with you that the average doctor could not be bothered with something like this. It's a shame really.

Comment

Thanks for the tips!! I have another question. . .

Wow!! Thanks all for your input. I suspected it could be a fit issue. I am really dry today, but I think I am coming down with a cold. Has anybody ever noticed more dryness when sick????

I wonder if I can get my doctor to do the "Jones Test." Probably not.

Comment

Arghhh . . .

Well, my eye doctor just left me a message saying that the only thing he can do for me is to plug the upper ducts as well, no mention of fit.

I am scared and frustrated. I guess maybe it is time to start searching for a new doctor.

How do I find somebody that can work with me?? I feel like I am turning into such a high maintenance patient, but NOTHING seems to work for me.

ARGHHH - got to love the medical community in this country!!

Comment

Perhaps Rebecca can direct you to a doc in Washington?? BTW, most people report that their eyes feel better when they are sick. In fact, it is extremely common to hear this. I am a rare exception and notice that my eyes are usually much worse when I am sick, particularly if I am fevering.
                    Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

Working...
                    X