I can easily see my bottom plugs but can't see my upper plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can easily see my bottom plugs but can't see my upper plugs

hey guys! i have had lower plugs for a month now and can easily see them in a mirror. i just got upper plugs today and can not see them in a mirror, even in a well light room when i lift my eyelid. does anyone else have trouble locating the upper plugs. i can easily see the lower plugs though. how can i know all 4 plugs are in?
    thanks so much!

It's best not to try to maneuver your eyelids to try to see the plugs. As for knowing if they are in or not -- if they were not in, then you would soon start getting the dry eye discomfort. I've been going through this for over a year. Hopefully, the present ones will stay in place!

Comment

What kind of plugs do you have, the surface type or intracanalicular?
      Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

I didn't know there were names like surface or intracanicular. Mine are just inserted into the lower tear ducts. Sometimes they last a very long time and other times one or both might pop out. The ones I have now have been in for quite a long time -- maybe a year or so.

Comment

I never knew dry eyes could affect one's life so much. No matter who I mention it to, they hardly even respond. Of course, we all know it's certainly not the worst thing a person could get, but a little support would help a lot!

Comment

Originally posted by vicki1778 View Post
            I didn't know there were names like surface or intracanicular. Mine are just inserted into the lower tear ducts. Sometimes they last a very long time and other times one or both might pop out. The ones I have now have been in for quite a long time -- maybe a year or so.
            All plugs are inserted into the tear ducts (puncta). When you say you could see the plugs, were you seeing the cap or something sitting on top of the eye lid or were you seeing a shadow outline of something inside the eye lid?
            Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

I didn't say I could see the punctal plugs -- however, the ones I have now I can see the plugs. I think they are mushroom shaped. My eye doctor is a very fine doctor, but I think he is a little too "laid back," meaning I feel that I have to drag things out of him!

Comment

Originally posted by vicki1778 View Post
                I didn't say I could see the punctal plugs -- however, the ones I have now I can see the plugs. I think they are mushroom shaped. My eye doctor is a very fine doctor, but I think he is a little too "laid back," meaning I feel that I have to drag things out of him!
                It sounds like you have the surface-type plug. Sometimes the uppers are harder to see because of the way your lid is shaped, or you might need to try using a magnifying mirror. If in doubt as to whether or not the uppers are still there, ask your eye doctor to check. I think many of us have similar issues with all doctors in general. We expect them to offer information. Rather, we need to take responsibility to ask questions, as many as it takes to gain a full understanding of the cause of our problems, the recommended treatment plans and the risks associated with those treatment plans.

Comment

I didn't want to have the uppers put in because I was sure that I would have an over-abundance of tears and would be dabbing at my eyes all the time with Kleenex. I am always surprised at the number of people on these boards who know every medical term, the names of the plugs, etc. I do take charge of my health issues -- I learned that long ago. However, my doctor doesn't tell me much unless, as I mentioned before, I drag it out of him. Pulling teeth!

Comment

seeing punctal plugs

HI ..
                    i've had them in lower for about 3 months (can easily see them)
                    and in the upper for about 1 month (cannot see them)
                    so..i think it might be that it's just easier to see the lower ones.
                    on the other hand, i think i can "feel" the upper ones when i look to the right.
                    Betty

Originally posted by cts View Post
                    hey guys! i have had lower plugs for a month now and can easily see them in a mirror. i just got upper plugs today and can not see them in a mirror, even in a well light room when i lift my eyelid. does anyone else have trouble locating the upper plugs. i can easily see the lower plugs though. how can i know all 4 plugs are in?
                    thanks so much!

Comment

plugs & eyelids

hi all
                      i'm just wondering if others have this issue.
                      i now have 4 punctal plugs. this helps me a lot with dry eye because mine are very dry (shirmer left eye = 1 , right eye = 2) and having only 2 plugs didn't help me at all.

so...now my only problem is that my eyelids are always a little sore because the tears leak out a little. i find that if i dab them with kleenex..that only makes them more irritated and i wondered if anyone else might have had this issue and if so, did you find any kind of solution to the problem??

thanks so much!!
                      betty

Comment

Originally posted by bvendig View Post
                        hi all
                        i'm just wondering if others have this issue.
                        i now have 4 punctal plugs. this helps me a lot with dry eye because mine are very dry (shirmer left eye = 1 , right eye = 2) and having only 2 plugs didn't help me at all.

so...now my only problem is that my eyelids are always a little sore because the tears leak out a little. i find that if i dab them with kleenex..that only makes them more irritated and i wondered if anyone else might have had this issue and if so, did you find any kind of solution to the problem??

thanks so much!!
                        betty
                        When I had overflow with 4 plugs, I found that putting in eye drops stopped it. That is because mine was due to reflex tearing. You have a few options:

1. Try adding more drops to see if that temporarily stops the overflow. If not,

2. Remove either the upper or lower plugs

3. Replace the upper or lower plugs with a flow controller type plug

Indrep may have more to suggest.

Comment

overflow from 4 plugs

thank you kitty!!
                          i'll try that and also check in again with my doc.
                          i just hate going to see him. he always acts like i'm such a nuisance...
                          (and yes, i've tried other doctors but they all seem to act like that)
                          thanks again!!!!
                          betty

Originally posted by kitty View Post
                          When I had overflow with 4 plugs, I found that putting in eye drops stopped it. That is because mine was due to reflex tearing. You have a few options:

Comment

What part of CA are you in. There a couple of us on this site from CA with wonderful Dr.'s.

Bernadette

Comment

Overflow

Thanks so much...i'll try that!
                              I live in the sacramento area and if you know of a doctor i'd love to hear about it. i've gone to 3 different ones..none were a huge help and all act like i'm a nuisance because i keep asking questions.
                              thanks!!
                              betty

Originally posted by kitty View Post

Comment

Working...
                              X