So I'm getting silicone plugs in my lowers today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I'm getting silicone plugs in my lowers today

I must admit that for such a routine procuedure Im a bit worried and have some misgivings. I've read so much about them falling out/chafing eyeballs etc etc that I'm thinking that all this expense (I'm also worried my insurnace co company will only cover a partial - and of course I can't get a straight answer out of them).

I think first off I'm going to mention to the doc that I'm concerned that i still have large amounts of eyelid itchiness - esp at night AFTER I remove my makeup - could this scratching / constant rubbing along my eyelid margins be exacerbating my dry eye? If we treat that perhaps I don't need plugs?
    I was also reading xenophilia's blog about his problems with dry eye, he apparantly did some research and thought colustrum pills may be a good supplement because of the antibodies in it.. of course his disclaimer was risk of CJD.....
    *sigh* this condition is taking over my life.

My dry eyes were caused my lasik and I have no other issues but I have to tell you for me plugs have been the answer for increased comfort. Lowers helped me but getting the uppers done in February really increased my comfort. BUT it tooks SEVERAL weeks before I felt the theraputic effect. At first I wanted them out until I got used to them and my eyes settled down. And they made my eyes really itch at first when I had no prior itching issues.
    I would try not wearing any eye makeup and see if that helps your symptoms. I know it's hard to not wear eye makeup when you are used to it. But also giving that up helped me tons. And then you wouldn't require makeup remover.
    Bottom line, give your plugs a chance before you give up on them. I'm so glad I did. Your doctor will probably do a follow up after putting them in to check their fit etc.
    With all 4 done I do have a bit of over tearing but I will take that any day to the dryness. Having just 2 done did help me but didn't give me the level of comfort I was seeking but they usually make you start out with only 2 done.

Comment

How do you feel?

How do they feel, yoganut?!
      I just got my second upper today! I got the first on Friday, and I had overtearing over the weekend but back at work today I didn't, but the eye I had the upper put in on Friday NO LONGER BURNS in the evening after a day's work!
      Everyone told me to give them a chance, and they were right. Now I'm getting some overtearing (at home) in the newly plugged eye, but it feels SO GOOD to not be dry, I'll take drippy anyday.
      My lower ones gave me a few troubles at first (I was difficult to fit), but that has now pretty much gone. I am having some itchiness in both eyes (over the weekend it was stronger in the upper plugged eye) but I'm telling myself it will subside, and it's major pollen time right now anyway (Cherry Blossoms, anyone?).
      PLEASE tell us how they're doing when you get a chance. I really hope they help!!!
      BTW even though I've had them put in both eyes in both upper and lower, it still gives me the willies if I *think* about the procedure too much.
      Take care, I hope you're doing well! LasikLady always gives good advice
      Shoey

Comment

Oh geez, thanks! But I'm really just a newbie myself!!

Comment

thanks for your messages.. but I ended up not getting them. My doc seemed a bit reluctant, I mentioned my concerns about 1)insurance 2) possibility of chafing/scratching my eye 3) plugs falling out - perhaps I was just a bit too much of a patient at the end of a long day for him, anyway he said he likes to try Restasis first / lotemax (in my case) then move on to plugs if that doesn't work.. so back to the Restasis.... ho hum.

Don't have overly high expectations, I was on Restasis briefly back in Oct 07, I find it makes my upper and lower eyelids itch if I get overdrip, I'll be careful to wash it off. The Lotemax seemed to help my eyes overnight, yesterday was the first day of use and today they seemed brighter and whiter and didn't feel quite so sore and tired even now at the end of the day. Unfortunately I know the honeymoon with it will have to over at some point, but good ole doc seems to think/hope Restasis will be kicking in by then ....

Lasiklady you mentioned going without eye makeup Its bad enough sliding into middle age, but even worse with no makeup! I'm having quite good luck with pure jojoba oil though to remove it, its extremely gentle, very organic, no chemicals and best of all no tugging.

Comment

Well maybe it's good that your dr is taking your concerns so seriously -- perhaps better than "Well just trust me, I know what I'm doing" attitude.
            I got my second upper done on Monday -- so I've got Left Eye one in each, Right eye one in upper and 2 in lower. My right eye upper was the one done Monday and now dropping hurts like crazy - I think it's rubbing. Of course, my lowers did the same thing but only for a few days. I go back on Monday.
            Jojoba oil?! Neat idea - does it moisturize too?
            Shoey

Comment

Hi everyone,

I have moderate to what seems to be severe dry eye. My first doctor impatiently prescribed punctual plugs or thermal cautery but I said no way Jose and left the building! My second doctor prescribed restasis because he said that he would rather me use something that would help me produce tears rather than preserve existing ones. I used it for 1 week and thought that my eyes were becoming worse. My eyes were red, gritty and stung when I applied eye drops. Too be honest, they seem like that made me worse than what I was in the beginning. If some told me that there was a guarantee that It would produce more tears for me I would stay on it for at least a 2 months but the only way to know is to try I guess.
              However, I was reading a post were one young lady said that although she hated the side effects she found significant relief from it but now she feels dependent on the drug and I guess that is another big issue for me becoming dependent eye medication. I was wondering if you (Yoganut) are still using restasis and if you had any relief from it yet? If not, are you willing to go through with plugs?

Also, has anyone been able to manage their DE by just using natural methods?

Comment

Originally posted by dryeyelady View Post
                Also, has anyone been able to manage their DE by just using natural methods?
                Depends a bit what you call natural. I have never taken an Rx drug - topical or systemic - for my DES. I manage it with good lid care, night protection, OTC drops (Dr. Holly's), sclerals, eyewear and nutrition.
                Rebecca Petris
                The Dry Eye Foundation
                dryeyefoundation.org
                800-484-0244

Comment

well, its day 3 of the Restais/lotemax routine. As I said before, day 1 was great, lotemax was clearing my eyes, they looked whiter - a co-worker who knows about my eye problems even commented - however I think the Restasis is making my eyes red/sore and the lotemax is not providing the anti-inflammatory effects -I'm not sure how long to remain on this regimen. Dr said he wants to see me in 2 months.

Perhaps this is a teething period? I don't get the intial burning/stinging upon Restasis applicaiton that others complain of but last night my eyes were sore. Of course doesn't help that I sit in front of a computer for 8+ hours per day.

I would prefer to stay off meds for my DES symptoms, but I've tried the warm compresses and my eyelids get puffy- don't get relief anyway, besides this new doc said my glands weren't plugged. Currently taking Borage oil and or Moistur-eyes (when budget allows). I keep thinking back, wondering what caused this? I've never had lasik, I'm 41, I started wearing contacts occasionally when I was 35, summer 06 got nasty eye infection (could have been DES though) and never went to doc, eventually cleared up on its own then went on vacation last summer and wore contacts all day every day, 2 weeks later I had this problem, stringy mucous wearing contacts which would continue for days after I stopped wearing them.. is it possible an infection triggered this whole thing? My eye margins have been very itchy for over 2 years, the only good thing about the Restais/lotemax regimen is that they haven't itched the past 2 days.

To answer whether I'd consider plugs... well, if this doesn't work, probably... but I wonder if my tears are toxic and they just would be hanging around in my eye more.... sigh..this is such a frustrating condition, spouses get fed up hearing you complain and don't understand what its like, it makes me feel old and tired all the time.
                  Sorry this post is so long, perhaps I'm just dissapointed this new regimen doesn't seem to be helping..

Comment

Hi Yoganut,

If it's any comfort, I've never had much agreement from doctors about what makes my eyes dry.

You've got pretty big guns, there - antibiotics and steroids at the same time. Both can have uncomfortable side effects, can't they? I'm not familiar with your story - have you talked to your doctor about backing up a step and trying gentler options, such as Freshcote or Dwelle, along with physical aids such as moisture chamber glasses? Apologies if you've already been down this road, but sometimes less is more, if you know what I mean.

Dwelle has made a big difference for me during the day. Night-time is still a work in progress!

Lisa

Comment

I wonder if I'm severe enough for moisture chamber glasses? I've been reading Dr. Hollys threads and think I may try Dwelle or Dakrina or Nutratears, I posted a question asking if ok to use with Restasis & lotemax but have still to hear back.
                      Still, 1 good thing about the last coupla days, at least i'm not waking up with my right eyeball stuck to my eyelid..

Comment

Originally posted by yoganut View Post
                        Still, 1 good thing about the last coupla days, at least i'm not waking up with my right eyeball stuck to my eyelid..
                        Oh yes, I hear you about the eyelid sticking! Definitely not a good way to wake up.

Lisa

Comment

Working...
                        X