Question about punctum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about punctum

I read a post where someone said once you have plugs in if they are ever removed your punctum will be larger and so more tears will drain resulting in drier eyes.
    I am really hoping that someday I will be like the patients Dr. Latkany mentioned in his reply post to me and after 4 or 5 years post lasik my symptoms will resolve. So what happens if I ever get these plugs out? Will the holes then be larger or do they shrink back to normal size?
    Does anyone have any info on this?

Thanks!

Hopefully the punctal ring, which is a sphincter muscle, will return to normal. However it is very fragile and if the punctal plug was too large when inserted then there is a chance the muscle was ruptured and will not return to normal. Also with normal aging the ring can lose elasticity.

Comment

I would try really hard not to worry too much about this. I have been wearing punctal plugs for over 16 years and nothing like that has happened. If for some reason it did, they would just put in a larger plug. There is always cautery if all else fails. This is just something that you don't hear about. I think it would be safe to put this fear to bed and not worry too much about it.

Comment

Thanks for the replys
        You're right Jade, there is no point in worrying about this. Plugs are a necessity for me and have made a ton of difference in my comfort level and I would not be where I am now without them.

So I will leave the future to the future and mark this off my list of worries!

Comment

Working...
        X