Punctal plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Punctal plugs

A quick question for everyone with dry eye symtoms. Has your ophthalmologist suggested punctal plugs and if they did would you try them. This is a sort of quick responce questionaire as I am interested in punctal plugs and not an optom so do not have access to patients responces. Thanks to those of you who post.
    Darren

yes

This is perhaps the first method of addressing dry eyes after the doc diagnoses. You may also have to do lid scrubs, hot packs etc, but plugs are definitely worth a try.
    Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

I had a silicone plug placed, and I do think it help[ed a bit with the dry eye. However, the head of the plug kept irritating the conjunctiva. Also the plug kept extruding, and at one point skin started growing over the plug. It was a bit gross, and scary. I eventually had it removed. I'm a little leary of the intracanicular plugs, but I would consider a 3 month collagen plug as these,I understand are absorbable.

Comment

I have two intra-ocular plugs, Herricks, in my right eye. I would be in pain without them. I've had no trouble with them and I hope I don't in the future. Sometimes these plugs can get imbedded sideways, have scar tissue grow over them, but I've been happy with them. If I couldn't wear them, I'd have to be cauterized.

I couldn't wear the regular plugs because of the irritation to the conjunctiva.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Chris
          I have two intra-ocular plugs, Herricks, in my right eye. I would be in pain without them. I've had no trouble with them and I hope I don't in the future. Sometimes these plugs can get imbedded sideways, have scar tissue grow over them, but I've been happy with them. If I couldn't wear them, I'd have to be cauterized.

I couldn't wear the regular plugs because of the irritation to the conjunctiva.

Chris
          I'm with you Chris. I have my lower right cauterized and wouldn't be without it unless they come up with something to increase my mucin and lipids. Barring that when the Port plug is approved I would, without doubt, have it replaced in my lower left punctum. Cant' feel it, can't see it and is close to cauterization but can be removed. It can also be readily seen when check as the Herrick it check with translumination.
          GOGO

Comment

Thank you for your responces
            Darren

Comment

I have two intracanalicular plugs in my left eye and one in my right. The plugs have helped me considerably. I still have DES and I still have DES symptoms, but they are no where as severe as they used to be.
              Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

I have four intracanniculair plugs, they are the best you can get.
                For me they are the difference between becoming blind or not.And the difference between unbearable pain (enough to commit suicide without ironie) and being comfortable.
                I have a very severe form of des (all 3 layers are destroyed caused by lasik).

Sabine

Comment

Hello

When I first asked about plugs to a young optometrist she said I should forget about having anything like these stuck into my eyes! (i think she might have been a final year placement at the Opticians).
                  I went to the same place again six months later and saw the practice owner. He said it was an option and I could have them on the NHS or go private. After trying supplements recommended by him, I elected to see a private optometrist.
                  Having done so, I now have a buried (smart) plug fitted. I think this is the intracanicular plug talked about. It was quite expensive £140 but on the NHS I would have still been waiting and probably would have had the plugs which stick out about.
                  Jury is still out on the effectiveness of the smart plug (after 1 week fitted).
                  Regards.
                  Occupation - Optimistologist

Comment

Working...
                  X