Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If plugs help, why not just do the cautery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If plugs help, why not just do the cautery?

The lower plugs have given me much more comfort in one eye and about 50% in the other. I hear that 15% of people can feel permanent ones and 60% of people lose them within 2 years. Why not just have the cautery?

Cautery is not so easily reversed. Sometimes, the DES calms down and tear production improves, and the plugs may no longer be needed. There are probably other reasons.
    Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

Personally I'm in favor of cautery especially if there's been long term poor lacrimal gland performance.
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

Talked to my doctor today. He said with the severity of my dry eye and with my age (will be 52 on Thursday) my dry eye is never going to go away completely. Since the lower plugs work so well for me, we discussed cautery. I think I am going to go for that. He also put in a collagen one in the top of my worst eye, with plans to go with a permanent if I like it. His only other comment is that he would never have a patient get both lowers and uppers cauterized since it removes options. He said lower alone makes good sense to him. We have not scheduled it yet, so I have no idea what the risks are. Anyone know?

Comment

Working...
        X