Ongoing and recurring infection from Smart Plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Redbirdi
    Unfortunately a few people have experienced what you are experiencing with the Smart Plug. I am assuming this is only happening on one eye. Rebecca said all that needs or can be said. Definitely see an oculoplastic surgeon for second opinion.

IF you decide against surgery and still believe punctal occlussion is needed for you, Cautery or Form fit plugs could be used. The reason I mention Form Fit plugs is that they, unlike Smart Plugs, when irrigated shred apart like mucous and wash out. BUT before I resorted to either of these I would try a 90 day type plug and see what happened.

Comment

I just wanted to mention that even with three surgeries, the Dr(s) were never able to locate my 'problem plug'. Then two years after the last surgery, it erupted out of my lower eyelid between the inner corner of my eye and my scarred up punctum. Too wierd. I hope things continue to improve for you, Redbirdi!

Comment

Judy were your plugs the golf tee shaped plugs?

Comment

Six weeks and alls well!

Wow, you guys! There are some amazing comments here… Much thanks.

Six weeks and alls well! I go back for a follow-up with my doctor next week. I was hoping to have some more info to present her with? All I can say is I am so glad I did not have the surgery! I am pretty limited with Dr. choices and getting a 2nd opinion (insurance and hassle). I am really not sure what to do at this point, besides count my blessings!

Skygoddess, your experience was enlightening and Judy, OMG! That would have put me over the edge for sure… I still wonder if the manufacture of these “SmartPlugs” can be blamed for a faulty product?

In the mean time, I am not sure what to do about future/further plugging. Do I assume the plug is finally out, ‘cause the infection and irritation is gone, or not? Do I try another kind of plug? Or as my doctor suggests, eventual cautery? Sense I am unsure, I will not likely do anything next week, just see what the Dr. has to say.

Oh, I don’t know the shape of the plugs, for sure… I never saw them when Dr. put them in. I went to the website that was suggested here in the replies, they looked cylinder shaped?

Thanks again!
          Rose

Comment

Working...
          X