punctal plugs and physical activity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• punctal plugs and physical activity

One thing that I have been wondering about in regards to punctal plugs, is whether or not you can take part in physical activity or will any type of physical activity increase the risk of the plugs falling out or something bad happening?

I am the kicker for my college football team, and although I am not hit on a constant basis, I do get hit on occasion, and run, and lift weights all the time. So, any advice on this subject would be great!

Once punctual plugs go in they are actually quite hard to pull out even with tweezers due to their size relative to the tear drain and the shape of them, so theres not a chance they will move during any kind of physical activity. Punctual plugs usually come in different sizes so as long as your doc fits the right size there will be no problem. Its better to err on the bigger side for a tighter more secure fit. IMO

Comment

Originally posted by markL
      Punctual plugs usually come in different sizes so as long as your doc fits the right size there will be no problem. Its better to err on the bigger side for a tighter more secure fit. IMO
      I would say that this last piece of information is absolutely critical for the rest to be ultimately true.

Eye docs who put in plugs can use a dilator to slightly enlarge the puncta, allowing for an oversized plug to be inserted. Plugs that are sized or inserted wrong can, and do, fall out.

Before figuring all of this out (myself), I went through several sets of plugs that had been improperly sized and/or inserted. In one case, two fell out just as I was flying to the Colorado Rockies (dry, dry air). Um ... ouch.

Like most things, this is one where you need an eye doc who really knows his/her stuff.

Eventually, I went with the 4x cautery. I don't produce enough tears to ever leak, and/but I don't have to worry about losing plugs anymore....

Comment

info. please

a bit of info. please.just had 0.4mm silicon punctal plugs fitted today.
        what should i expect.do they take a while to work?before i get some
        relief.the doctor tried to fit 0.6mm but thet wouldnt go in.
        thanks in anticipation.
        juninho(graham)

Comment

plugs

Everyone is different, but my experience was it took several days before my eyes felt better. I noticed they were more moist, but they didn't feel better for close to a week.

Comment

thanks very much JCORBETT,I was very apprehensive this afternoon
            but lots better now and as you say will just have to wait to see.
            I had loads of questions for the doctor but you get kind of hurried
            by them as other patients to see.Ill keep my fingers crossed as it
            would be nice to have a little relief.Recent holiday spoiled by pain
            in both eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by juninho
              Ill keep my fingers crossed as it
              would be nice to have a little relief
              Several pairs of fingers crossed for you here too. I think that while some people get a "wow" effect or even tear overflow pretty soon after instillation, in many other cases it takes awhile.

Recent holiday spoiled by pain
              in both eyes.
              Very sorry to hear that. Some people find that de-stressing seems to have a positive effect on eye pain levels. Personally I sometimes find the opposite - more aware of my eyes when I'm not busy.
              Rebecca Petris
              The Dry Eye Foundation
              dryeyefoundation.org
              800-484-0244

Comment

thanks Rebecca ,i agree,i find when im not busy the "eyes"take over
                and the focus is purely on them.
                I know what you mean about the "wow "effect but you feel so fragile
                about your eyes you just dont know what expect.I guess some of this
                is psychological and in a few weeks ,when things have settled ,i may
                try some hypnotherapy to take my mind of my eyes ,which has been
                constant ,and which you all will have experience of as this condition
                takes over your life.
                Just the lower 2 canals done this time and review in a month and
                maybe the top 2 they said.
                By the way is their any news on the research being done by
                Professor Ubels which is on another thread on this site?
                Regards to all,Graham(uk)

Comment

Working...
                X