Are plugs ok if you have MGD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are plugs ok if you have MGD

I had Lasik in one eye and have suffered ever since, at the start from erosions and then from dry eye.

I stopped trusting my Lasik surgeon and moved on, only to discover that I have MGD in both eyes, I just never had any symptoms, but the Lasik and the erosions have meant I am feeling the MD now.

I am plugged top and bottom from my Lasik surgeon, but read a post somewhere a time back that if you suffer from MGD top and bottom plugging is not a good idea.

Any thought on this?

B.

Hi,

I have severe MGD and probably ocular rosacea. I also have 4 plugs. It is the only way I can function. I need doxy from time to time. How much tear production you have? Mine was zero in both eyes.

All best !

George

Comment

Hi George,

I also have ocular rosacea and MGD and zero in both eyes. Have you been able to increase your tear production at all? What have you tried? I just got lower plugs.

Comment

I think plugs are fine if you first get rid of the inflammation and as long as you don't have allergies. You don't want all the inflammatory cells floating around in your eyes because it will make you feel worse and worsen your condition. I got plugs while I still had inflammation and they made me feel terrible...they dissolved a week later, but it took weeks for me to get back to where I was before I got plugs. Focus on your MGD and bringing down inflammation first.

Comment

Actually a two week dose of topical steroids will knock the inflammation down. When you add plugs to that you are reducing the environment that allows inflammation to take place. Remember its not inflamed tears or cells in tears its the hyperosmolarity of the tear film that causes the ocular surface to send signals to the brain that opens the ocular surface to inflammation. Inflammation aloows increased vascular permeability which allows more serum(hypotonic) to be secreted to the ocular surface to lower the osmolarity.

Comment

Originally posted by T.Sykes View Post
            Hi George,

I also have ocular rosacea and MGD and zero in both eyes. Have you been able to increase your tear production at all? What have you tried? I just got lower plugs.

Hi T.Skytes,

I have upper plugs and lower plugs. Doxy helps a lot. I take also Restatis once a day. I can't take it twice a day due to severe burning. My TBUT was around 10s. When I have a flare I wear MCG -moisture chamber glasses. Eyes become moist quickly with MCG.

How much is your TBUT? Have you tried azasite ?

Good Luck!!

George

Comment

Hey George,

I am currently on Azasite. Not sure how it is working because I am trying to many different things at once. It really stings when you put the Azasite drops in, I have found that if I keep my eyes closed after putting the drops in it stings less. I am also on Restasis 2x a day, I don't have a problem with that stinging. I have been taking steroids for about 3 weeks now.

The last doctor told me my TBUT was normal in my right eye and left eye wasn't good (maybe 5?).

My last schwimmer before the lower plugs was zero. I think the plugs are helping, I seem to be holding the Thera Tears in my eyes longer than before.

Comment

Working...
              X