Is this possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this possible?

I have had upper punctal plugs inserted, the 6-month type. They were put in one week ago today. The very next day, I noticed I can taste the eyedrops I put in in the back of my throat.

Is it possible for anything to get past these 6-month dissolvable plugs? Or does this mean they immediately fell out?

My lower punctum have been cauterized for 7 years, and no, they have not re-opened.

Thanks!

Size

If the plugs are not big enough, they can pass through. If you are tasting fluid in the back of your throat especially after putting eyedrops in, you probably have a leak.

Comment

My first ones washed right on through. I have extremely large tear ducts and take the biggest size made. They replaced mine the next day at no charge.

Comment

Plugs will not give 100% occlusion but it sounds to me like a plug might not be positioned right. Best see your eye doctor and make sure everything is OK.
        Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

20/20
          The six month plugs have been reported to have this issue. They have not been reliable in their dissolution or break up times. Really the only plugs that have proven to be Extended duration are those that claim 90 days of occlusion.

You could ask your eye care physician to try a reflux test by pressing on the lacrimal sac with a q-tip and seeing if there is reflux throught the puncta.

Comment

Thank you everyone for your responses. I had the 3-5 day disolvable plugs put in first and did not notice any difference, so I had commented to the doctor that I hope they did not fall out on the trip home. When he put in these new 6 month dissolvable ones, I said that I hoped they would not fall out, and his response was "These won't be falling out". So, I was quite surprised to find myself the next day tasting drops in the back of my throat.

Indrep - that is interesting information. So it is possible they are still in, but some substance is leaking by them. I will mention the "reflux" test to him when I see him this week. I really don't feel any noticable difference with them in, so that was a disappointment.

Comment

Working...
            X