Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 month collagen plugs

Hi,

I was just at my opthalmolgist's office and he told me about a new collagen plug that lasts 6 months. He would like me to try them. Has anyone tried these? If so how long did they last? Were they comfortable? Did they help?

I have had the Eaglevision plugs and they were uncomfortable and fell out pretty quickly.

Thanks.
    dryeyes2

I had these put in my upper punctum about 2 weeks ago. I'm cauterized in the lowers. I have not felt them there. They may not still be there. I can taste drops in the back of my throat, but user "indrep" says this can happen with these types of plugs, so I don't know. I have not experienced any seemingly moister eyes either. I'm thinking when you just don't make much in the way of tears to begin with, shoring up the dam isn't going to make much difference. That is just my experience, and I'm sure others have noticed improvements.

Comment

another question

Hi 20/20 Hindsight,

Thanks for your response. Do you know if the kind they used were Eaglevision brand? My doc says that is the brand he is planning on using, but when I look them up on their website, the long lasting dissolvable plugs were actually synthetic. I am a little confused. Are the ones you had put in collarless?

I wonder if they would help too. I can't remember other than irritation if the ones I had before helped or not. They didn't stay in very long. I don't like the idea that they might give you a bad taste in your mouth. My doc mentioned cauterizing too, but I really don't want to do that.

Thanks for your help.
      dryeyes2

Comment

The Extended Duration plugs are indeed synthetic. Your doctor calls them collagen because the original dissolvable plugs were collagen.

The EagleVison brand has results that are not always consistent with 6 months of duration. More consistent results come from those brands that advertise 90 days duration.

It is not the plugs that create the taste, it is the lack of plugs that allows the taste of a drop instilled in the eye to make its way to the back of the mouth.

Comment

Now that I have been taken off of steroid drops, I no longer taste the drops in the back of my throat. I was using FML drops.

I have no idea if the plugs are still there. I am dry as a bone, with lower ducts cauterized, and uppers plugged with "6-month collagen plugs". My doctor did not tell me what brand they are. They do not have a collar, they insert directly inside the punctum.

My eyeballs feel like they have been dragged on a cement sidewalk.

Comment

how long?

I did get lower plugs. They are Quintess by Ocusoft. They are synthetic dissolvable collagen. I don't feel them. I am wondering how long would it be before I feel a difference. I wonder since my eyes are pretty dry if it will take some time or should I be feeling a difference immediately.

Thanks for your help.
            Best wishes,
            dryeyes2

Comment

Usually within 24 hours you should notice tears holding on your ocular surface.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks indrep for the information. It has been 5 days since I had them put in and I am still wearing goggles around the house. They might be helping a little. When I have my goggles on my right eye feels like it has more moisture in it. When I don't have the goggles on, I can't say I feel much difference. It is kind of frustrating.

dryeyes2

Comment

Working...
                X