Tearing Versus Just Dry!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tearing Versus Just Dry!

I have read posts whereas many have excessive tearing of the eyes due to being dry. I, however, almost never have tears; eyes are just plain ole dry! For instance, when exposed to air conditioning or various aisles in stores, certain chemicals and fragrances, my eyes dry out so much that it somewhat impairs my vision.

Are there any others who have this problem versus the tearing? If so, what is your medical diagnosis...? Once again, trying to self diagnose. 'Tis my new hobby!

Hi JAH,

I am like you...no tears, even reflex. Occasionally I will get some tears when yawning, but I never get tears from wind, smoke, irritation, etc. In dry conditions or conditions that normally irritate my eyes, I also get terribly dry and achy and also experience the blurry vision you mentioned, but no tears.

However, in recent weeks I can only say the above still holds true for my right eye. I recently got upper and lower plugs (the kind with the cap) in my left eye (the eye which was the driest - sometimes it was even hard to cry), and now I have overflow. In recent years I have always tested 0mm in that eye on the schirmers, so Im still kind of in shock about this recent development. It has been about 7 weeks now, and I dont think it is reflex tearing because I cant feel the plugs and the tears are generally comfortable tears, except for the fact that there are too many of them. Im surprised that I would have this many basal tears, but Im not sure how else to explain it. Either way, even with the constant blotting of the tears, I am ecstatic because I no longer have the terrible dry ache in that eye.

But like I said, before these plugs, no tearing ever really, not even reflex. So, maybe you would see a difference with plugs? (FYI - I did not notice ANY difference with only lower plugs, and also no difference with the 6-month dissolvable kind upper and lower). My diagnosis is aqueous deficient due to lasik 3.5 years ago. I also have MGD, but I think the main problem is the aqueous deficiency for me. Good luck and I hope you find something that helps you soon!

-Shells

Comment

I have both. Most of the time just dry. But if I have a little erosion, or allergies, or if my eyes are excessively irritated by something, they water up a storm. And not the good kind of tears. It seems as I get older there is less tearing and just plain old dry.
      Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

I do both, too. Mostly one eye gives off a little extra tears and the other nothing. The really dry one just goes to EXTRA DRY on a dime. I was at the dentist's office a couple of days ago and he had that da-n light in my face. My left eye was totally dry and I was trying to blink and looking weird, I'm sure. You can't blink just one eye I found out. Lucy
        Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy View Post
          I do both, too. Mostly one eye gives off a little extra tears and the other nothing. The really dry one just goes to EXTRA DRY on a dime. I was at the dentist's office a couple of days ago and he had that da-n light in my face. My left eye was totally dry and I was trying to blink and looking weird, I'm sure. You can't blink just one eye I found out. Lucy
          The dentist office elicits strange things. Several times I was at the dentist, they put the chair back and my left eye started tearing and it was running down my face. I hadn't noticed. My poor dentist stopped; he thought he was hurting me and he wasn't even touching me yet!
          Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

I tried the temporary plugs twice and decided to get permanent plugs. I was so excited the day they were placed into my low ducts. I felt tears!!! By that same evening, I noticed that the left plug (the really bad eye) was no longer in the duct and the right plug was very irritating to my eye. By the next day (Thanksgiving Day, 2008), I was so uncomfortable that I went to the ER and met with the person who put them in. Because it was a holiday, he would not replace the left plug and his only option was to push the right plug further down into the duct which he stated would probably cause it to eventually come out. I elected to have the right removed. Therefore, plugs were gone within 24 hours....

The plugs were "Eagle" brand? Don't know much about plugs, but that was what was used. Now, I am not sure as to try another type or just consider the first experience as just another bit of bad luck. In the interim, I am dealing with the sporatic/extreme dryness.

Not sure if anyone else has days/moments whereas they feel almost normal and for a moment think that maybe the dry eye days will go away. Maybe it's denial, but it is a great feeling, at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by JAH1973 View Post
              I tried the temporary plugs twice and decided to get permanent plugs. I was so excited the day they were placed into my low ducts. I felt tears!!! By that same evening, I noticed that the left plug (the really bad eye) was no longer in the duct and the right plug was very irritating to my eye. By the next day (Thanksgiving Day, 2008), I was so uncomfortable that I went to the ER and met with the person who put them in. Because it was a holiday, he would not replace the left plug and his only option was to push the right plug further down into the duct which he stated would probably cause it to eventually come out. I elected to have the right removed. Therefore, plugs were gone within 24 hours....

The plugs were "Eagle" brand? Don't know much about plugs, but that was what was used. Now, I am not sure as to try another type or just consider the first experience as just another bit of bad luck. In the interim, I am dealing with the sporatic/extreme dryness.

Not sure if anyone else has days/moments whereas they feel almost normal and for a moment think that maybe the dry eye days will go away. Maybe it's denial, but it is a great feeling, at the time.

I too am just extremely dry. I am now quadriplugged and take Restasis, and finally feel that my eyes are getting comfortable. Restasis alone didn't help, but getting the plugs helps retain the tears that I am able to make. The redness and acheing is slowly fading away. I found a doctor who puts in intracanalicular plugs that are pushed further down so as to not cause irritation. I could not tolerate these in my upper lids, however, and have extended collagen plugs (3 months) and am considering having just the upper cauterized. Have you ever tried Restasis?

Comment

Working...
              X