Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plugs-Did they work for you?

Hi,
    I've had plugs put in about 3 or 4 times now to help w/dryness and they kept falling out, and I never even noticed a difference w/them anyway. Does anyone else who had them put in had problems w/them falling out and/or not working?

Yes

I got lowers in now - I think they work great - I tried uppers too - but my eyes were too teary

Comment

I'm with Tim on this one.

I had 4 and hated it with watery eyes everywhere.

Now I just have the bottom two and are much more manageable.

Cheers

Ian

Comment

I had 4 at one time. Had reflex tearing due to allergies, caused the tears to run down my face so I had one removed. I had excess tearing in the double plugged eye for a long time. I just lived with it. One day it suddenly stopped. I don't know if both plugs are still in that eye or not. Now both eyes feel pretty much like they did before they were plugged, and I am fairly sure there is at least one plug in each right now. Even when I had excess tears I was not comfortable.
        Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

Ok thanks for your comments. I had them and like you both I had problems at first with watery eyes. I think when I go back to my eye doctor I'll have him just put lowers in this time.

Comment

Plugs

I tried the four plugs as well and my eyes gushed all day - miserable! That actually made my dry eyes worse. Had the uppers pulled out but kept losing the lowers. I finally bit the bullet and had cautery. This really made an amazing difference and I am glad I did it. I'd do it again in a minute.
            Last edited by Gaye; 13-Dec-2008, 14:13. Reason: typo

Comment

Having too watery, that's good case. You can remove 2

I had one eye fully plugged, seldom watery, plus salt spreading on the glasses, and the eye is more sensitive to light and allergens. It makes a saltpool...

Also I think it may make the eye healing slower or stop to recover.

Comment

Hi,

I tried lowers with Eaglevision brand 2 times. They did not want to stay in my eyes and I didn't notice much difference except they irritated my eyes where they touched. Not comfortable at all. Right now (if they are still there) I have 6 month dissolvable type in the lowers. I can't say I notice much difference. When I first got them one of my eyes would sometimes feel a bit more moist but other than that, I don't notice much difference.

Best wishes,
                dryeyes2

Comment

dryteyes2
                  The "6" month plug has a spotty record for consistency in dissolution(2 weeks to 3 months) time. The plugs that are advertised as "90 day" plugs have a more reliable dissolution time.

Comment

Hi Indrep
                    I just went to the eye doctor Thursday,She wants to cauterize all four of mine. She has put plugs in my lower twice and they keep coming out I guess due to washing face with wash cloth and sometimes rubbing my eyes. I guess that I am kinda hesitant account that seems so permanent,although I asked her if it could be reversed if need be,(account of too much tearing)
                    she said it could with surgery.I just wanted to know what the cons are with cautery. I am 59 and I know that with age the tear production slows quite a bit so I can see the plus side.

I also have cataracts,my right side is worse account of the shingles that I got in march of 06 on the right side.I know without a doubt that is what caused my dry eyes.Prior to that I never had a problem with my eyes,I could be in the wind,heat or smokey conditions and never bothered me,now the least bit of wind sets my eyes off to that stingy,gritty feeling.I am scared that when she removes my cataracts that will make my dry eyes worse than they are now. Does anyone know if that operation is anything like the lasik surgery?causing my condition to worsen.

Dianat if you read this,how is your cautery doing.and would you do it again?
                    I am scheduled to have the cautery done Feb. 19 so I have a little time to decide,I thought that she would want to cauterize the bottom first and see how it went then if need be do the uppers,she seems to think its best to go ahead and do all four.I would trade wiping a few tears streaming down the face for that very welcomed moisture and hopefully comfort.This is driving me crazy,its so unpredictable,few good days then bad days.

Thanks Gary

Comment

Hi Indrep,

Are you basically saying that the 90 day plugs would be a better thing to try? Do you know if insurance would pay to have plugs put in on a regular basis. My doc mentioned cauterization to me also, but I am very reluctant, especially since I have not notice a huge difference with any type of plug.

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it!

dryeyes2

Comment

Originally posted by gary View Post
                        Hi Indrep
                        I just went to the eye doctor Thursday,She wants to cauterize all four of mine. She has put plugs in my lower twice and they keep coming out I guess due to washing face with wash cloth and sometimes rubbing my eyes. I guess that I am kinda hesitant account that seems so permanent,although I asked her if it could be reversed if need be,(account of too much tearing)
                        she said it could with surgery.I just wanted to know what the cons are with cautery. I am 59 and I know that with age the tear production slows quite a bit so I can see the plus side.

I also have cataracts,my right side is worse account of the shingles that I got in march of 06 on the right side.I know without a doubt that is what caused my dry eyes.Prior to that I never had a problem with my eyes,I could be in the wind,heat or smokey conditions and never bothered me,now the least bit of wind sets my eyes off to that stingy,gritty feeling.I am scared that when she removes my cataracts that will make my dry eyes worse than they are now. Does anyone know if that operation is anything like the lasik surgery?causing my condition to worsen.

Dianat if you read this,how is your cautery doing.and would you do it again?
                        I am scheduled to have the cautery done Feb. 19 so I have a little time to decide,I thought that she would want to cauterize the bottom first and see how it went then if need be do the uppers,she seems to think its best to go ahead and do all four.I would trade wiping a few tears streaming down the face for that very welcomed moisture and hopefully comfort.This is driving me crazy,its so unpredictable,few good days then bad days.

Thanks Gary

I would not choose to doing something permanent. I had plugged for few years, the upper plug seems well suit and I afriad it can't be remove more than it drop out...

I think you may visit more doctor before doing something permanent!
                        Some doctor may be not very responsible for patient, just ask them to doing something more than they need.

I am younger so I hope 1 day I will recover(I am near...). I don't know your case, but I suggest only have half plugged, and the remaining treat with eye drop, than that would be reversable if you heal youself.

I feel so sad after doctor made an accident, it kills 1 of my duct permanently.
                        It could with surgery, yes, but it may be a very big event that need to go into the hospital. May be have a cutting on the face, or use a electric drill to drill a hole...haha, so terrible...

Comment

Working...
                        X