Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cold air and tearing?

Hi All,
    I am in the mountains of Colorado and we have been having some really cold days. Usually I produce very minimal tears and have bad pain because of it. I have plugs in the bottom ducts and am scheduled to get plugs in the top in 1 week. What is really strange is that over the past week I have been tearing quite a bit(having to wipe out from under my eyes often.) My eyes have really been feeling a lot better. My question is should I cancel getting the top plugs because of the tearing or do you all think it is just temporary due to the sub zero temperatures? I also have been tolerating my contacts for a few hours at a time which hasn't happened in a long time. I am just a little confused what to do next. Thanks for any input!

This is a question best directed to your doctor. However, if the tearing is accompanied by your eyes feeling good, I would question the need for additional plugs. I get excess tearing when my DES really flares but those tears feel far from good. In my case extra plugs were appropriate. Again, IMO, if it ain't broke, I would not fix it, but discuss with your doctor to be sure.
    Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

Hi bean:
      Your "confusion" means you should wait before getting upper plugs.
      I didn't see when you got the lowers put in, but sometimes it takes a long time before you see a difference. By waiting to see if your new tears seem to be a permanent part of tear quality/volume/etc. you have nothing to lose.

It might be that the lower plugs are enough. It's also just beginning winter and by waiting you might see a difference in a few weeks and want the uppers plugged and really KNOW it. Best of luck to you. Lucy
      Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Half plug is very good. If you got tears come out, not the bad tears, it would be ok. But eye condition affected by the weather, mainly humidity, you need to check if there is external factors making u better a while.

Have move time to see before getting fully plug, it may be unreversible!

I regret having fully pluged, if lubricant eye drop can do the same, use more drop better than an un-normal eye...

Comment

Thanks everyone for your responses. I got the lower plugs over a year ago. 3 weeks ago my Dr put in dissolvable upper plugs that were meant to last 1 weeks. My eyes felt a little bit better during that time, and the tearing didn't start until after they should have been gone. I thought that plugs could be removed very easily if they weren't working out. Is this incorrect?Thanks

Comment

I hope that "indrep" doesn't mind that I make this suggestion publicly, but -- other than your own doctor, of course -- my idea of the next best person to consult would be our fellow poster indrep (who is not a doc, but someone with a lot of experience and knowledge about plugs).

Comment

bean,
              Before committing to "long term" or "permanent" plugs (terms are interchangeable) considering your recent experience I would try the Extended Duration (90 days) plugs.

First your eyes may be getting a lot of "reflex" tears right now. While this offers some relief now due to "volume" in the long run these tears are more harmful than helpful. They contain a higher concentration of salts, etc.

Second, while the silicone plugs are easily removed that assumes they are inserted correctly and not accidently pushed into the canaliculus(rare but does happen). If this should happen then it is not so easily removed.

By evaluating the 90 day period you will be able to determine if periodic excess tearing is going to be an issue for you.

Comment

Trying 90 days plugs sounds like it might be the best thing to do! Thanks for the suggestion. My lower plug haven't caused me any trouble, so I guess I just figured that the upper ones would be the same. Better safe than sorry though!
                Thanks all.

Comment

Working...
                X