inracanalicular plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• inracanalicular plugs

Does any one know if the plugs that go into the canal are less effective than the ones that are inserted into the punctum that most people have, Really would like to know if there is a difference. Many thanks

There are three types of intracanalicular plugs: Lacrimedics Herrick plugs, Medinium Smart Plugs and OASIS Form Fit.
    The Lacrimedics Herrick plug is a silicone and in the shape of a golf tee. It is designed to fit in the horizontal part of the canaliculus. It is of a fixed diameter.

The Medinium Smartplug is an Acrylic material that through body temperature shrinks in length and increases in diamter to form a 0.8mm diamter cylinder of acrylic in the horizontal canaliculus.

The OASIS Form Fit is a Hydrogel material that expands up to 20 times its size to fill the vertical canaliculs. When hydrated it is 90% water and has no edges that can cause pressure points inside the canaliculus.

The lacrimal system pulls tears through with a peristolic movement. There is some theory that the horizontal plugs do not stop all tears from moving through the system. There are also some published data regarding complications with 2 of 3 plugs mentioned above, because I have an interest in one of the companies I would prefer you do some research on that yourself, it is readily availble with Google searches.

If at all possible I would try the visible plugs first.

Comment

My eye doctor said that my intracanalicular plugs (Herrick) won't prevent 100% of tear drainage. Like Indrep said, do your research. My plugs are not working like they used to; I don't know if they have migrated or if my DES has gotten worse, will see eye doc in a couple of weeks.
      Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

inracanalicular plugs

Thanks to you both for your replies

Comment

Working...
        X