upper plugs itch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• upper plugs itch

I have had lower plugs for a while and have had no problems...I don't even know they are there. I had uppers put in and they itched like crazy...I scratched and they got worse, and it was just a bad cycle. I had them taken out and cleared up the blepharitis that had occured. I just attempted uppers again. They greatly improve my situation, but they are itching as well, though not as bad as the first. Does anyone have any insights on why these itch, or any advice on how I may be able to reduce this?

My experience is that the intracanicular plugs provide minimal benefit. The best I have had are the white silicon eagle vision plugs. they fit great and do not scratch the ocular surface. Take care

Comment

My intracanalicular plugs have provided good benefit. That was not the question posed. After I got my plugs, I had quite a bit of itching but it subsided over a while. This is what I think caused it, and it is only a guess. When the plugs are inserted, they stretch the puncta causing some minor inflammation. During the healing process, the itching happens, much like when healing from a sunburn. Whether my hypotheses is correct or not is probably moot, as the plug itching subsided within a few weeks.
      Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

Kitty, what you said makes sense. I scratched so much with my first ones that I think it made it so bad that I had to take them out. This time I have resisted any urge to scratch, and it is not nearly as bad. It is just the punctum that itches and I felt from the beginning that it was inflammation/irritation from having them put in. I just need to stick it out this time and give it enough time to heal and see if I see improvement. Did you do anything to help with the itching, like a drop or something? My doc prescribed lotomax, but I haven't gotten it filled yet.

Comment

Originally posted by mjf79 View Post
          Kitty, what you said makes sense. I scratched so much with my first ones that I think it made it so bad that I had to take them out. This time I have resisted any urge to scratch, and it is not nearly as bad. It is just the punctum that itches and I felt from the beginning that it was inflammation/irritation from having them put in. I just need to stick it out this time and give it enough time to heal and see if I see improvement. Did you do anything to help with the itching, like a drop or something? My doc prescribed lotomax, but I haven't gotten it filled yet.
          I don't recall doing anything other than resisting the urge to scratch and using lots of eye drops. Here is a link to some after care instructions for the kind of plugs that I have. It says cool compresses may help the itching. http://www.lacrimedics.com/docs/pa/A...structions.pdf
          Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

mjf
            Were the plugs intracanalicular or can you see them?

Comment

Originally posted by indrep View Post
              mjf
              Were the plugs intracanalicular or can you see them?
              They are intracanalicular. I cannot see them. It is not my eye that itches, but the actual tear duct itself...as though the skin is irritated. It is gradually subsiding and I am trying to hang in there. The bottom ones itched too for a while but seemed to subside sooner than the uppers. Any thoughts? Perhaps it is just the healing process from the puncturing the duct to fit in the plugs.

Comment

Originally posted by kitty View Post
                My intracanalicular plugs have provided good benefit. That was not the question posed. After I got my plugs, I had quite a bit of itching but it subsided over a while. This is what I think caused it, and it is only a guess. When the plugs are inserted, they stretch the puncta causing some minor inflammation. During the healing process, the itching happens, much like when healing from a sunburn. Whether my hypotheses is correct or not is probably moot, as the plug itching subsided within a few weeks.
                Kitty, do you remember about how long it took for the itching to go away? I am trying to hang in there and resist the urge to have them removed without giving it a good amount of time to see if it will improve.

Comment

Kitty, do you remember about how long it took for the itching to go away? I am trying to hang in there and resist the urge to have them removed without giving it a good amount of time to see if it will improve.
                  It seems like it was a couple of weeks. My eyes still itch, but not necessarily in the area of the plug. Dr. Latkany posted in another thread that itching can be due to the plug rubbing against the eye (of course there is tissue inbetween). He suggested opting for a 3 month dissolvable plug rather than the intracanalicular type if the itching remains bothersome. If your itching is improving, you might hang in there for another week or two. If it is no better by then or if you don't think it is getting enough better and it has been a few weeks since you got your plugs, you should discuss this with your eye doctor.

Comment

I went ahead and got the intracaniclar plugs removed today and had my doctor put in the extended collagen ones. I will just have to repeat if I need to later. The itching wouldn't really subside and I could feel them irritate my skin/tear duct as I moved my eyes around. Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Kitty,

Do you know if it is all right to do the rice baggy with the collagen plugs? I know that they are sensitive to heat and didn't know if the compress would interfere at all.

Comment

Kitty,

Do you know if it is all right to do the rice baggy with the collagen plugs? I know that they are sensitive to heat and didn't know if the compress would interfere at all.
                        Sorry, I don't know. I'm hoping Indrep here will see your question and answer as he will probably know.

Comment

mj
                          The collagen (3-5 day duration) plugs are more sensitive to fluid than heat. The Extended Duration (90 day) plugs are synthetic and heat does not affect them.

Comment

Working...
                          X