How old are plugs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How old are plugs?

I'm sure this must be mentioned on this board somewhere, but when were puncta plugs first used? I am 44 and now have lower plugs and am probably getting one upper plug next week. Will these last the rest of my life? Or do you at some point have to have then changed out?

My left eye feels great now and my right is better. Hoping it will feel great with an upper plug. I don't know why I am so anxious about having these things in my eyes.

I don't know about the history of the first punctal plug, but the Herrick plugs were developed in the 1980s. Many people have had them for years without difficulty. I asked my eye doc much the same question and he said he has only had to replace the Herrick type plugs in a few patients. He has been inserting plugs for many years. The Herrick plugs are intracanalicular and as such have less chance of being rubbed out than the surface type. What type of plugs do you have? Of course, I'm sitting here writing this, wondering if my 3 Herrick's (intracanalicular) are still there. Will get an eval by a 2nd doctor this week to try to find out. The first one could not see them. I have had them for about 3 years, think they might have disappeared about 3 months ago.
    Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

Jerre Freeman, MD holds the patent for the original silicone plug. I think the date is in the seventies decade. He began marketing the product in the early 80s perhaps a few were sold in the late 70s. Unfortunately in the early days insurance would not reimburse the doctor for inserting the plugs or even for the cost of the plugs. During the late 80s Medicare and private insurance began reimbursement for the procedure and the use of plugs picked up considerably.

Comment

Odyssey Punctal Plugs stay in!

I was told that Odyssey Medical made the Punctal Plugs for Dr. Freeman at EagleVision. Odyssey then split off on its on and the doctor said EagleVision tried to make the plugs themselves. I believe that the Odyssey Punctal Plugs are superior to the Eaglevision Punctal Plugs. The Odyssey Punctal Plugs stay in longer.

Comment

I think EagleVision has more than one manufacturer over the years.
          I'm glad you have plugs that are helping you.

Comment

Working...
          X