Flow Control Plugs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flow Control Plugs?

I currently have lower plugs. I had upper plugs put in last November and I had too much overflow so I had to have them removed. It was impossible to forget about my eyes (even for a few minutes) because I always looked like I was crying. I have read posts, none recent though, about people who were using a flow control plug. Anyone who has flow control plugs, I would appreciate any input (good or bad) on how they are working out for you.
    I am considering trying this, maybe one eye first, to see if this makes me more comfortable.

Also, anyone out there with only upper plugs? I was wondering if that was an option.

Thanks!

Jennie

flow controller plugs

Once again, it seems that only your doctor can know best. However, I think that I remember Dr. Latkany (this website) saying that he was very positive about using these plugs. On the other hand, when I asked my doctor (a dry eye expert) about them, all he did was look at me and shake his head "no." He used a Smart Plug with my upper right eyelid when the punctal plugs kept falling out. (Although all of my other punctal plugs worked fine, that one was particularly troublesome.) I also remember my doctor saying that it was quite typical for upper plugs to come out more easily than the lower ones.

I think that lower plugs are usually put in first, with the expectation that they are the most effective. It's interesting that you had uppers put in first - unless I misunderstood you.

Comment

Flow control plugs

Thanks Louisville Lady! I actually had lowers put in first. However, I did not notice a difference, Then when I put in the uppers, there was way too many tears. I do not understand why there is such a huge difference with the uppers, if the lowers are supposed to be more effective.

Comment

pj
        Most now think the removal of tears is about 50-50 between uppers and lowers. How ever I believe every individual is different so you really don't know until you experience it for yourself.

As for the flow controller plugs, interestingly enough there has never been a tudy to determine what they allow to pass through versus not. There is only anecdotal evidence from patients in similar situations to you who say they work.

Comment

Working...
        X