Pulling the plug!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pulling the plug!!!

Just out of curiosity, what happens when you have a plug removed?

I have had plugs fitted in my lower ducts for well over 2 years and my eyes have been feeling quite good of late, touch wood.

I have a large tear meniscus in my left eye (on the boarder of overflowing) and I am now thinking it may be time to have the plug pulled out on that side only.

What happens when you do? Does the duct return to "normal" size or has it been permanently stretched because it has had a plug shoved in there for 2 years.

Just a morbid curiosity at this stage if anyone can shed any light I would appreciate it.

Ian

Oh my gosh what WONDERFUL news....that you're doing so much better! That's all I got

Comment

Originally posted by prattstar View Post
      Just out of curiosity, what happens when you have a plug removed?

I have had plugs fitted in my lower ducts for well over 2 years and my eyes have been feeling quite good of late, touch wood.

I have a large tear meniscus in my left eye (on the boarder of overflowing) and I am now thinking it may be time to have the plug pulled out on that side only.

What happens when you do? Does the duct return to "normal" size or has it been permanently stretched because it has had a plug shoved in there for 2 years.

Just a morbid curiosity at this stage if anyone can shed any light I would appreciate it.

Ian
      What kind of plugs do you have? If intracanalicular, your plug could have migrated resulting in more occlusion. Having it repositioned or irritated out and replaced may help the sloshing.
      Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

return to "normal" size?
        you don't need to care the size, you just need to care the function
        The duct would be back to normal function after few days.
        But do you overflow even in winter? Now I only overflow in wet day or place.

Ask your doctor's advise and do some tear test for consideration.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your advice and comments.

Yep feeling a lot better.

Have been working in front of the PC for really long hours for days on end - Financial year end here so very busy.

Not wanting to tempt fate, just considering this at the moment.

The plugs I have are oasis permanent plugs (the ones with the exposed cap).

This is another reason I am thinking of having at least my left out because my cornea hits the plug from time to time and hurts like heck, so my logic is if my eye looks and feels relatively normal, is the plug still necessary.

As said, I think I will enjoy this situation for sometime to come before I do anything.

Cheers again

Ian

Comment

Pratt,
            Theoretically the sphincter would return to normal. BUT there is the risk the sphincter will be "fractured" or "ruptured" on removal. This would leave a large opening for tear drainage and because the canaliculs works in a peristolic motion you could potentially lose more tears than before occlusion.

Comment

Working...
            X