Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2 smart plugs put into one tear duct? is this enough?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 smart plugs put into one tear duct? is this enough?

Ok so i attempted to have all my reg umbrella plugs removed (i got tired of one falling out every 4 months or so) so i tried the smart plugs.. after the first day i could tell they weren't catching my tears like the umbrella ones did--so 2 days later i go back to my doctor who it 2 hours away and he put in the regular umbrella plugs in my lower ducts but in my upper left duct he kept the smart plug in and put in a 2nd smart plug... i'm not sure if it is blocking the tears enough..

has anyone had experience w/ 2 smart plugs in the same puncta??? also, both my eyes have been super inflamed and sensitive since all the anesthetic drops from monday and wednesday so it could just be that..

please --i appreciate any advise or shared experiences...thanks so much!

goes to show when you are feeling good-sometimes its good to just let well enough alone!
    Jenny

I'm sorry things aren't great for you right now,

I'm afraid I can't help with you with the double plug thing, Ive never heard of it to be honest, but some of our plug experts might be able to help you out.

Bernadette

Comment

Indrep needed on this one.

Calling Indrep.
      Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

thanks everyone.. i am a bit better today--i do believe the 2 days of the anesthetic being pored in my eyes is what did it... now i know... i am with you Lucy-I think I rather tolerate the pain of the insertion of the plug and not worry about being numb.. its not worth it!
        Jenny

Comment

Smart Plugs

I thought I'd reply to this post since I think, Jenny2008, that we go to the same doctor. (By the way, I just posted a statement about this yesterday on the "vote" about experiences with plugs.) Anyway... I had the same thing happen with the difference in using the punctal plugs vs. the Smart Plug. I originally had plugs put in by another doctor, so by the time I got to this one, they had been in a long time and were well in place. Then, we decided to put a plug in the upper right, which wouldn't stay, no matter what. Finally, he said, the next step was the intracanalicular one. I couldn't tell any difference, but he said to give it time....I did....went back, he pushed on it, and said there was no leakage; but he was willing to fortify it with a second Smart Plug. I went on my way. I waited for two months and then decided that I had given it plenty of time, so I went back and he said that I had "plugged up" oil glands again. Sooooo, I've been on Azasite for the past month and go in again this week. That's all to say that I, too, wonder about the effectiveness of the SP, but I can't seem to get anywhere with the other issues "muddying the waters." It's nice to know that I'm not the only one b/c the doctor seems to think there's no question about the effectiveness of these plugs.

Comment

Hi,
            Well my eyes are still irritated from the drops of anesthetic he used both on monday and wedensday-i wish he would have just used it on the puncta.. Anyway , I am starting to feel somewhat better so I will have to wait it out and see if my left eye improves and if the 2 smart plugs in the upper left duct work. So, you have 2 smart plugs ontop of one another as well?
            Jenny

Comment

2 smart plugs

Yes, I have had two smart plugs placed, one after the other, in the upper right tear duct (November/December?). I do remember calling the first day of the first plug and telling the doctor that I didn't feel a difference right away like I did with the other plugs. He then said, "It takes a few days for these plugs to take effect." I think it has something to do with the body heat making the rod soft and its forming to fill the duct...Then, when the first smart plug still didn't seem to be as effective at giving me more tears (though the doctor pressed on it and said it seemed fine) he went ahead and put a second one in. He thought that I had "just gotten drier." We'll see where I am this week after treating the oil glands again. I'll let you know.

Comment

Ok. thanks .. I may be calling him tomorrow myself- i still feel drier in my left eye and i was doing fine with the regular umbrella plug i had.. i have 2 smart plugs in-youwould think that would be pretty close to a regular plug.

Keep me posted on your situation.thanks!
                Jenny

Comment

Working...
                X